• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quiet Compact Mechanical Keyboards

TungstenC

Yep, they have to put the F1-F12 somewhere...
You can even use the keyboard without a mouse, simply by using this keyboard....Just use the function keys with A-S-D-W.
Cool, eh? :D
The mouse nav cluster is definitely unexpected. :D

While silicone dampners are a good alternative, they don't fully silence the switch as the sliding stem still hits the hard top housing of the switch(producing the second clack), whereas the silenced switch has rubber stop for both.
Cherry MX Brown(left), Cherry MX Clear(center), Outemu Silent Grey(Right with translucent insert)
stem compare.jpg

Last edited:

Feanor

Forum Donor
My favourite keyboard of all time came with the IBM 3270 type terminal I used back in the '70s - early '80s. It had a wonderfully responsive and positive-feeling touch -- but it was definitely NOT quiet.
1605387626719.png

A new keyboard I found recently I bought for nostalgia's sake because it had remarkably similar touch and response -- and a remarkably similar noisy sound: the Redragon Kumara K552 RGB.
1605387885631.png

gorb

Forum Donor
@sweetchaos - Thanks, yes the Logitech key caps looked very fragile when pulled a couple off to take a look. I can see how they might get broken.

I also liked the look of the Ducky One 2 TKL (non-mini), but I couldn't find one with the right combination of UK layout and key switches.

The other option I found was the Filco Majestouch 2 TKL, but I could only find it with the Silent Reds... https://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard...ss-nkr-silent-soft-linear-action-keyboard.asp.

Anyway, i've taken the plunge on the Durgod K320 TKL with the Silent Blacks. It should arrive on Monday, so i'll report back then.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Cherry MX reds didn’t interest you? I prefer them to MX blacks.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My favourite keyboard of all time came with the IBM 3270 type terminal I used back in the '70s - early '80s. It had a wonderfully responsive and positive-feeling touch -- but it was definitely NOT quiet.

I used a PS/1 keyboard for much of the '90s. It had a similar build to the Model M but was much more compact...

1605391028808.png

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sorry, If I had read the entire first post I would have caught that.

I did consider the Silent Reds as they appear to be marginally quieter than the Silent Blacks, but I decided to stick with what I know I've liked before.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I know about box.co.uk, i've bought from them before, but none of those keyboards have the *silent* black switches. I do like the look of the Tuxedo though :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I used a PS/1 keyboard for much of the '90s. It had a similar build to the Model M but was much more compact...
I used the PS/2 which was the standard them. I think they were $300 or something like that in early 1980s?

Anyway, nice keyboard but took a lot of effort and my fingers would get tired. Has this been improved now?

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used the PS/2 which was the standard them. I think they were $300 or something like that in early 1980s?

Anyway, nice keyboard but took a lot of effort and my fingers would get tired. Has this been improved now?

There are hundreds of different mechanical key switches to choose from. Generally, they fall in to 3 categories: tactile (with a 'bump' as you press the switch down) with a click, tactile silent (without a click) and linear. There are then variations in the amount travel and/or force required to actuate the switch and some have other features like internal bumpers to reduce noise or holes for LED backlighting.

You can buy a selection of testers switches if you want to try them out before commiting to a full keyboard, e.g...

Cherry Keyboard Switch Tester

The IBM Buckling Spring switches in the IBM M keyboard had an actuation force of 60-70g and a very loud click. The most popular key switches today, usually have an actuation force of between 45-60g, so they're a little easier on the fingers.

Attachments

• 1605402829232.png
    1605402829232.png
    306.3 KB · Views: 80

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The IBM Buckling Spring switches in the IBM M keyboard had an actuation force of 60-70g and a very loud click.
A side story on this :)

One of the engineering team I managed had this eccentric hardware designer. He was one of the most grumpy people you ever met. Everything bothered him at all times. Something would set him off -- which was often -- and he would go to his office and bang on the keys so hard you could hear it across 20 other cubicles! Countless other engineers sitting around him wanted to either move away or quit out of frustration! Problem was that the guy was a good designer so I couldn't outright fire him. Must have had dozens of talks with him to not do this but he would do it again a couple of days later. It was a relieve to finally quit that job and go to another company!

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
I did have have the same requirements when I changed my keyboard a couple of years ago, and finally decided to go for a Corsair K65 LUX RGB model. It has the perfect layout for me (TKL) with standard key placement and size. But they have noisy MX red switches, so I used silicone O-Rings in all keys, two of them for ENTER, SPACE and arrows. I tried a couple of ring models/brands, they’re not all the same.

It’s a pity: most manufacturers tend to believe that the TKL form factor is for gamers (I am not: I use it for work), and combine this keyboards with noisy highly responsive switches. I find the RGB keys feature useful to remember keyboard shortcuts for specific applications.

TungstenC

For any one looking for the model m, it is still in production with the original(?) tooling from IBM/Lexmark on pckeyboards.com (Unicomp, classic version)

*Reviewer's voice may blow your subs :D

They have just recently released a new model m with thinner borders(more compact, new tooling, better letter alignment, issues mentioned in the video above are solved, but for it's new blinding blue indicator LEDs....) and is currently working on a TKL to be released soon. (The SSK long awaited space saving keyboard)
Delayed for obvious reasons...
unicomp ssk.jpg
*edit, fixed a display issue, the imgur embed doesn't seem to behave well in spoilers

Last edited:

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK – would one of you keyboard gurus tell me the nearest Cherry colour equivalent (i.e. something I could readily get today) to the switches in the original IBM PC/AT keyboard which had the nicest feel I've encountered. No later IBM keyboard seemed to have quite the same feel.

Thanks.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK – would one of you keyboard gurus tell me the nearest Cherry colour equivalent (i.e. something I could readily get today) to the switches in the original IBM PC/AT keyboard which had the nicest feel I've encountered. No later IBM keyboard seemed to have quite the same feel.

Thanks.

That would be an IBM Model F keyboard using capacitive buckling spring switches: https://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Model_F

Sorry, I have no idea what the modern equivalent would be, or if anyone makes switches like this anymore.

Top Bottom