• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quiet Compact Mechanical Keyboards

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4. The 65% form factor will take a bit of getting used to. But I'm glad I went with 65% since it has dedicated Arrow keys, Del, PgUp/PgDn. If I chose 60% layout, think I would have struggled too much without these keys. On the other hand, having a smaller keyboard on your desk is beneficial since there's more room for your mouse movements and I'm liking the extra space on the desk now.

I went with the slightly larger, 88 key layout because I still have muscle memory for CUA editing keys (SHIFT + DELETE and SHIFT + INSERT rather than CTRL + C and CTRL +V).

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Can you guys recommend some good typewriting keyboard options that I can buy for my wife during Black Friday and Cyber Monday? I don't have a budget because I know as little about keyboards as my wife knows about my speakers. All suggestions are appreciated!

Seeing how you're in the US, I would order from mechanicalkeyboards.com, because:
- their prices is not inflated (like some amazon listings are), and they have any type of switch you can think of.
- they usually have colour combinations of keycaps that you might not find on amazon (very nice!)

Which switch?
-Cherry MX, because of their stability/reliability. I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Since we don't know her preference, I would point you to choose either:
- Cherry MX Brown, for typists who want to feel that tactile bump before bottoming out the keycap
- Cherry MX Red (or 'Cherry MX Silent Red' if quiet keyboard is required), for typists who want to type normally

Which keyboard size do you think she'll use?
-Normally, people get the Full-Size (100%).
-If you want to save space on the desk and don't mind the lack of dedicated numpad, get the TKL (tenkeyless) (which is about 80%).
-If you don't need the F1-F12 or PrtSc/ScrollLock/Pause keys, get the 65% (which is what I got).
-If you're a gamer, you probably going to choose the Compact (60%), which doesnt have arrow keys, since they don't use them anyway.

Which brands to choose?
- I would point you to 'Ducky', as I can vouch for the quality.
- But 'Durgot' keyboards are also highly regarded here. Available on amazon.com directly.

I think I narrowed it down so you can choose easily.

I can see Black Friday sales here for Ducky in Canada, but I'm not seeing it for US.

EDIT:
Oops, just saw you said 'typewriting'.
I thought it was just 'typing'. :facepalm:
I don't have much experience with those, so maybe others can chime in. :)

Last edited:

gorb

Forum Donor
Great choices. :)
Nice colour combo...orange/blue looks good!
Razer Deathadder v2 also has the 'Optical Mouse Switch', like Viper...so I expect excellent reliability and performance.

The Ducky board I ordered way back in November finally arrived :)

UxOFQdL.jpg

Here’s a seven second video comparing switch noise between a cheap numpad with Outemu blue, Filco majestouch with Cherry MX brown, and the new Ducky board with Cherry MX silent red:

gorb

Forum Donor
Wow a 7 month back-order? You’re a patient man!
The colour combo looks great.
I love my Ducky keyboard. Definitely end-game for me.

I really like it! I wasn’t in need of it so I didn’t mind the wait. I actually ended up ordering the ocean blue version with Cherry MX blues this morning lol
MedtWTV.png

I wish I had the skill/knowledge to retrofit all of my other keyboards with a usb-c port. It would make swapping them out so much easier.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Love all these coloured keyboards. They remind me of Point Of Sale (POS) keyboards in stores and restaurants back in the day.

HerbertWest

I find wooting keyboards to be pretty slick, both the 60E and the standard-sized. The analog Hall-effect keys plus total configurability are unique. Their videos show how all that stuff works in practice.

Top Bottom