• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quiet Compact Mechanical Keyboards

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone use or recommend one? I'm looking for a compact keyboard to replace the Logitech G413 that i'm currently using. My purchasing criteria are...

1. UK layout, no number pad, but traditionally placed cursor and editing keys - These keyboards are generally known as 'TenKeyLess' or TKL keyboards, although only some TKL keyboards have normal cursor keys. This is an ergonomic consideration and my primary reason for replacing the G413.

2. Mechanical switches (but see below)

3. Quiet keyswitches - I mean really quiet, not just 'not clicky' - I'm drawn to the Cherry MX Silent Black switches due to the inclusion of dampening bumpers within the switches and the higher actuation force of the blacks. I really liked my old SteelSeries 7G keyboard with non-silent MX blacks until I wore the texture off the keycaps (see below). There's a good video demostrating the audible differences between various Cherry MX switches here:
(direct comparison after the 5:00 mark)

4. PBT 'doubleshot' keycaps. I don't want shiny, smooth keycaps after a few years.

5. Backlighting - I'm quite fond of the subtle red backlighting on my G413 and it looks nice in the evening, but it's not essential.

6. Useage - mainly office work for the forseable future. I don't game very much now, but enjoy a decent keyboard when I do.

7. Budget £50-£150.

I have found a Durgod keyboard on Amazon which seems to fit the bill, I just wondered if anyone else had any opinions or suggestions before I push the button (pun intended)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084VBMGMX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AOX42M1QYZ4TV&psc=1

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you know exactly what you want. Personally I strongly prefer mx brown but I'm going to try out a topre clone.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you know exactly what you want. Personally I strongly prefer mx brown but I'm going to try out a topre clone.

The Romer-G switches in my G413 are roughly equivalent in terms of feel to MX browns, I quite like them, but I really want something quieter - sometimes I forget to mute on Webex meetings and I know my current keyboard is very audible to folks on the call.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Berwhale I have what appears to be very similar to the one you are looking at: https://www.amazon.com/DURGOD-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-Interface/dp/B07QK16RDQ/ I don't game much either, but do a lot of programming. Very quiet keys. Easily the best keyboard I have ever owned!

Thanks for the feedback, yes that's the same keyboard but a US layout and Cherry MX Silent Red switches, rather than Silent Blacks. The blacks just have a stronger spring (60cN rather than 45cN activation force)...

1605379577629.png
1605379610175.png

TungstenC

If you are going for the pre-built option most of them will probably have cherry silenced switches. (more silent than zealpc ones, due to softer dampeners, link to a comparison)

Unless you go on the custom route there aren't many options that I currently know of.
Durgod keyboards does seem to have a reputation for being well built.

As for the Sinad-ish equivalent, force curves https://chart-studio.plotly.com/~haata#/

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Funny, I prefer membrane keys.

I learned to type on ye olde IBM Model M type keyboards, which many people swear by. Then I had some generic, cheap membrane keyboards which I found I preferred for feel, but got annoyed by the letters wearing off the keys.

I bought a Logitech G15, which is a gaming keyboard, but my reasoning for getting it was that the keys were backlit, so I couldn't wear the letters off. I had that for nearly 20 years and it still worked perfectly when I recently replaced it with with a Logitech G213, primarily because I wanted something more compact than the G15.

In any case, my point being, there doesn't seem to be any longevity issues with decent membrane keyboards.

TungstenC

IMO push the button now might not be a bad option as that keyboard perfectly fits your need, If the dye subbed keycap do wear out(will take a while), you could get some replacement double shot keycaps down the line (eg. link looks quite clean so many options out there)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I currently have Logitech G513 (with Romer-G Linear switches).
Bought on 2018-05-02.
In the 1st year, one of the keycaps broke.
It was the 'left-hand-ctrl' keycap.
I contacted Logitech and they sent me a replacement keyboard.
I've been using the new keyboard since and last week noticed another keycap broke.
This time the 'del' keycap.

Here's a screenshot of a normal keycap and a broken one.
Notice that 2 of the 4 sticks are broken off.
new.jpg
The other ends of the stick are now wedged inside the switch now...great!
How to fix this?
1. Take apart the keyboard, desolder the switch that's the problem, replace with new unit (must buy separately), then solder back on and replace with a new keycap (must buy separately)
2. Try using a push pin (or similar) to try to wedge the piece of stuck plastic inside the switch...that way you don't need to take apart the keyboard and desolder, etc. You'll still need to buy a replacement keycap.
This is a hassle I don't want to deal with.

With that sour experience, I'm currently waiting for a deal (Black Friday, or Boxing Day) for the following keyboard to replace mine:
Ducky One SF

What I like about it:
1. Cherry MX keycaps aren't prone to the same problems as I described with my Logitech, and they're much more sturdy in the long run
2. PBT double-shot keycaps, as opposed to ABS keycaps (that comes with my Logitech G513)
3. USB-C detachable cable, so I can take the keyboard out for cleaning (unlike my non-detachable Logitech G513 usb cable)
4. I've chosen SF = which is the 65% size layout, which includes Arrow keys, Del, and PgUp/Dn (all of which I'm constantly using).
As opposed the compact 60% keyboard (called Ducky One 2 mini), which is the most popular Ducky.

In Canada, we're limited by the choices we have (as usual), so I'm only able to get Cherry MX switches.
But if you're in US, you can also get the following switch types:
1605384283903.png
To get the Kailh or Gateron switches, order through MechanicalKeyboards (link to Ducky One 2 Mini)...otherwise your local retail will just carry Cherry MX switches.

I'll probably go with either Cherry MX Silent Red, as it's the closest to my current switch.
Logitech Romer-G Linear:
1605384630590.png

Cherry MX Silent Red:
2020-11-14 12_10_53-Search Results - Evernote.png

I recommend Ducky, as they have all sizes (60%, 65%, Tenkeyless, Full-size).

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@sweetchaos - Thanks, yes the Logitech key caps looked very fragile when pulled a couple off to take a look. I can see how they might get broken.

I also liked the look of the Ducky One 2 TKL (non-mini), but I couldn't find one with the right combination of UK layout and key switches.

The other option I found was the Filco Majestouch 2 TKL, but I could only find it with the Silent Reds... https://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard...ss-nkr-silent-soft-linear-action-keyboard.asp.

Anyway, i've taken the plunge on the Durgod K320 TKL with the Silent Blacks. It should arrive on Monday, so i'll report back then.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Bamboszek

Did you tried silicone damping o-rings? I'm using cheap chinese keyboard with Gateron Brown switches with these bumpers. Noise was not an issue for me but it's much quieter and imho feel of damped keys is better.

Top Bottom