• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quickie: Apple iPhone Lightning Headphone Adapter

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure. But it will, of course, depend on the amp, how loud you play music, and whether or not there's any other amplification. In my system, for example, I have a choice of a Didden-modified DCX2496 or a miniDSP 2x4HD. The former can be driven to full output with the 1V, the latter will fall 6dB short. I have never found that I couldn't get things uncomfortably loud with the latter, so for me, it's not a dig deal.
To what input sensitivity in dB does this correlate, for the DCX2496?

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Good question, and I don't know the answer off the top of my head (I'm a few dozen miles away from it at the moment). But since this is the Didden-mod version, the numbers won't correspond to stock DCX2496 anyway.

Biblob

Good question, and I don't know the answer off the top of my head (I'm a few dozen miles away from it at the moment). But since this is the Didden-mod version, the numbers won't correspond to stock DCX2496 anyway.
Alright. Curious if anybody else knows this. (Also what dB correlates for a voltage of 2V.)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit to low for most amps, I assume?
Depends. Most amps I have owned have a sensitivity of around 200mV on the analogue inputs, so it is plenty for all of mine (and I still have most of them, going back to a Nakamichi 530 receiver I bought in the late 1970s)

tktran303

Forum Donor
Input sensitivity (V rms) =

Square root (Rated power x ohm Load) divided by
10 to the power of gain / 20.

Example:
I have an amplifier rated at 200 watts into 8 ohms, with 26dB gain;

Input sensitivity
= square root (200 x 8) / 10^(26/20)
= square root 1600 / 10 ^ 1.3
= 40 / 20
= 2 (V RMS)

In other words, I need an input of 2V RMS to output 200W RMS from my amplifier.

Most consumer disc players standardise to around 2V RMS.

Now if I use a dongle or phone with only 1V RMS, that is 6dB less than 2V RMS.

A 6dB reduction in power is not half, but a QUARTER of the power rating.

So if I hook up this dongle with its maximum output of 1V RMS, the maximum power my amplifier will now deliver is 50W RMS.

Last edited:

Biblob

Input sensitivity (V rms) =

Square root (Rated power x ohm Load) divided by
10 to the power of gain / 20.

Example:
I have an amplifier rated at 200 watts into 8 ohms, with 26dB gain;

Input sensitivity
= square root (200 x 8) / 10^(26/20)
= square root 1600 / 10 ^ 1.3
= 40 / 20
= 2 (V RMS)

In other words, I need an input of 2V RMS output 200W RMS from my amplifier.

Most consumer disc players standardise to around 2V RMS output.

Now if I use a dongle or phone with only
1V RMS, that is 6dB less than 2V RMS.

A 6dB reduction in power not half, but a QUARTER of the power rating.

So if I hook up this dongle with its maximum output of 1V RMS, the maximum power my amplifier will deliver now 50W RMS.
Thank you for the clear explanation!

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
They apparently DO care if it involves me doing things that will not make them money. Like moving my WAV files from computer to phone or vice versa, changing computers and transferring files that I did not purchase from them to or from my phone...

I won an iPod shuffle in a raffle, I tried to drag some files onto it to no avail. My son said you can't do that you have to install iTunes. Right in the bin it went, people don't get why I have nothing to do with Apple products.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I won an iPod shuffle in a raffle, I tried to drag some files onto it to no avail. My son said you can't do that you have to install iTunes. Right in the bin it went, people don't get why I have nothing to do with Apple products.

Scott gets it. I only have them because my job pays for an iPhone and issued me the MacBook Pro.

D

Deleted member 52288

Scott gets it. I only have them because my job pays for an iPhone and issued me the MacBook Pro.
I know this is an old thread, but would the adapter work best as just a DAC? Like taking 3.5mm from the adapter and running that into a dedicated headphone amp/power amp?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@gsus it would output the cleanest signal that way due to the much higher load impedance vs a headphone.
I don't know what exactly you mean by work "best" however.

D

Deleted member 52288

@staticV3 I just mean that if you had headphones that needed some more power, you could use a dedicated amp instead of only relying on the Apple adapter. Also thank you for the reply!

Top Bottom