• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quick question on phono cartridges.

C. Cook

I've got a U-Turn Audio Orbit Special TT with what I guess (?) is a top mount headshell. I recently found a good deal on an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, but it's the "Verso" version that I think (?) is a bottom mount. It has the two screws already in place and it looks like you're supposed to install it by placing some nuts on the top and tightening them. This is the opposite of the standard 2M cartridge line in which you hold the cartridge up against the bottom of the headshell (also this confuses me, why isn't this bottom mount?) and insert the two screws from the top.

So my question is: Is there a way to get the "verso" range of Ortofon cartridges to work with my turntable (or any with the same type of headshell), or am I out of luck? It's still in transit to me so I can't take any pictures, but here are a couple of small photos from the Web.
The red one is the "verso" setup and the blue is the standard. Sorry about image quality but I'm trying not to eat up too much of Amir's server space. :)
1651018627142.png
1651018663260.png

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I don't know for sure but I think the screws will be too short to mount them to a normal headshell. To make it clear, you have to remove the needle to mount the verso as they are intended to be screwed into pre-threaded headshells from below. I guess you could get some fitting nuts and secure them from the top, but as I understand it the screws will only protrude 2.5mm above the cartridge which does not leave you much space.

I would not risk it.

To compare. The standard headshell comes with M2,5 5mm and 7mm screws to mount it, the verso only has M2 and it's 6mm in length. However since they are inserted from below, you're left what whatever threads are available on top.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

I don't know for sure but I think the screws will be too short to mount them to a normal headshell. To make it clear, you have to remove the needle to mount the verso as they are intended to be screwed into pre-threaded headshells from below. I guess you could get some fitting nuts and secure them from the top, but as I understand it the screws will only protrude 2.5mm above the cartridge which does not leave you much space.

I would not risk it.

To compare. The standard headshell comes with M2,5 5mm and 7mm screws to mount it, the verso only has M2 and it's 6mm in length. However since they are inserted from below, you're left what whatever threads are available on top.

Damn, that sucks. Yeah I'm going to have to eyeball it when it gets here to see if I think there's any possibility it'd work. I will say that the headshell (really just a flat piece of plastic) on the U-Turn is pretty slim. Thanks for the reply.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Damn, that sucks. Yeah I'm going to have to eyeball it when it gets here to see if I think there's any possibility it'd work. I will say that the headshell (really just a flat piece of plastic) on the U-Turn is pretty slim. Thanks for the reply.
If you follow the link digitalfrost provided and download the setup guide, the guide has instructions on how to replace those screws. Tools are provided to allow the top plate of the cartridge to be removed and longer screws to be installed. Perhaps you will luck out and the stock screws will be long enough and you won't have to search for longer 2mm screws.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

If you follow the link digitalfrost provided and download the setup guide, the guide has instructions on how to replace those screws. Tools are provided to allow the top plate of the cartridge to be removed and longer screws to be installed. Perhaps you will luck out and the stock screws will be long enough and you won't have to search for longer 2mm screws.
The link to Ortofon's product page? Yeah, I'd already been there and seen what comes in the box, but had not thought to look for a setup guide. Did you mean the User Guide? I s'pose it's probably one in the same.

I've got a ton of tiny screws, bolts, nuts, etc. from my DIYing days so I'm sure if I need longer screws I'll have them laying around. The next logical question to me is how much added weight will 1-3mm of additional screw length be and will that be within the range of combined cartridge / headshell / tonearm weight (I think called 'tracking weight'?) provided by the TT mfg? I've also got a cheap little digital scale made for very light weights I can use to balance it if not.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I've also got a cheap little digital scale made for very light weights I can use to balance it if not.
That will work, but are there no markings on the counterweight? Most tone arms are marked so you balance it, then set the dial to zero, then adjust for the desired tracking force.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

That will work, but are there no markings on the counterweight? Most tone arms are marked so you balance it, then set the dial to zero, then adjust for the desired tracking force.
Unfortunately I don't think there are any markings. It's not a difficult one to adjust, though. Or I could be very wrong and this could end up being a real hassle. lol ;-)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
The link to Ortofon's product page? Yeah, I'd already been there and seen what comes in the box, but had not thought to look for a setup guide. Did you mean the User Guide? I s'pose it's probably one in the same.

I've got a ton of tiny screws, bolts, nuts, etc. from my DIYing days so I'm sure if I need longer screws I'll have them laying around. The next logical question to me is how much added weight will 1-3mm of additional screw length be and will that be within the range of combined cartridge / headshell / tonearm weight (I think called 'tracking weight'?) provided by the TT mfg? I've also got a cheap little digital scale made for very light weights I can use to balance it if not.
Yep - user guide. Just make sure the screws are non magnetic..... Amazon carries some inexpensive scales made for setting tracking force. The one I have is "Riverside Audio" or something like that. It was cheap and works well.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Yep - user guide. Just make sure the screws are non magnetic..... Amazon carries some inexpensive scales made for setting tracking force. The one I have is "Riverside Audio" or something like that. It was cheap and works well.
So check this out. What I did instead is just remove the top plate from my Blue 2M and swapped it for the plate on the Bronze 2M Verso. As you know, the standard 2Ms have threaded holes for the screws to grab onto from above where the Verso has unthreaded holes in the plate which you're supposed to screw upwards from below. Weighed the tonearm/cartridge combination and no difference to speak of. Saved myself all the headache of finding the right screws, nuts and then balancing it.

Also prior to doing that I tried the Bronze 2M stylus in the Blue cartridge body but the output decreased by about 15dB, so they aren't kidding when they say that while styluses may be interchangeable, they don't work the same with a different cartridge body.

Top Bottom