• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quick Preout measurements Yamaha RX-A3060

dumpingg

I use my Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR mostly as a PRE/PRO. I use the built in amps for 4 ceiling ATMOS speakers. So I am mostly concerned about the performance of the preouts of the Yamaha.

Yamaha volume set to -1 db. Pure Direct Mode.
Pre out to Behringer UCA202 USB sound card input
Behringer UCA202 TOSLINK (optical) to Yamaha TOSLINK input 1.
Windows 10 laptop on battery running REW EQ.

With the settings in REW and my UCA202 I could not get to 0dBFS source signals. Graphs attached are the maximum output/input settings I could get before clipping my measurements.

Yamaha 3060 1khz tone toslink source.png

Yamaha 3060 31 tones toslink source.png

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Nice work. Do you mind reposting so that noise and distortion numbers are not A-weighted?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice work. Do you mind reposting so that noise and distortion numbers are not A-weighted?

The REW measurements are already not A-weighted, except for the N+D (dbFSA). The measurements are in the audible 20Hz-20KHz range but are not A-weighted. From the recent reviews, it looks like Amir is measuring SINAD in the 10Hz to 22.4kHz range, so if you want to keep the results compatible with his, @dumpingg , you can set the low/high filters to 10-22.4k.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thanks for clarifying.

Billy_SP

With the settings in REW and my UCA202 I could not get to 0dBFS source signals. Graphs attached are the maximum output/input settings I could get before clipping my measurements.

I have been very lucky to find this post. My setup is very similar to yours, I am using separate (and identical) amps for the front left and right, old but faithful Yamahas P3500 (Professional amps) connected to the [Pre Outs]. This is the same setup I had with my old Denon 4310 and it worked very well, however when I hook them to the Yamaha RX-A3060, the volume is linear just in segments. While turning the volume up it suddenly jumps to heart attack provoking levels.

Do you think it could be related to the irregular peaks in the pre outs?

[Edit for grammar and better explanation, English is my second language]

Last edited:
OP
D

dumpingg

I have not noticed any non-linearity in the pre-out volume when listening to my hometheater setup. I regularly use the volume control on the yamaha in the range of -50db to -1db (as displayed on the HDMI video overlay.) Your P3500 amp has XLR inputs? How are you connecting your P3500 amps?

Billy_SP

The P35s have XLR and TRS inputs as well. I made RCA to TLR cables and connected the pre outs of L/R of the Denon 4310 to the TRS inputs in the P35s. I use each stereo P3500 amp to bi amp the L and R speakers, Kef Reference 4. As I had the amps already I decided to test this configuration and it worked very well with the Denon.

OP
D

dumpingg

I have not encountering the problems you have described. However you might look into some of the optional settings on the yamaha that might account for non-linear volume adjustment levels.

My settings: YPAO Volume ON. Adaptive DRC (A.DRC) OFF. Dialogue Level (Dialog Lvl) 1. Dialogue Lift (Dialog Lift) 1. Subwoofer Trim (SW.Trim) 0. Input Trim (In.Trim) 0. These are all settings that might account for unexpected changes to pre out volume depending on your master volume setting. Look at page 115 (english version) of the manual.

You could try running in PURE DIRECT mode to turn off most processing to see if that makes a difference.

Arran

I have not encountering the problems you have described. However you might look into some of the optional settings on the yamaha that might account for non-linear volume adjustment levels.

My settings: YPAO Volume ON. Adaptive DRC (A.DRC) OFF. Dialogue Level (Dialog Lvl) 1. Dialogue Lift (Dialog Lift) 1. Subwoofer Trim (SW.Trim) 0. Input Trim (In.Trim) 0. These are all settings that might account for unexpected changes to pre out volume depending on your master volume setting. Look at page 115 (english version) of the manual.

You could try running in PURE DIRECT mode to turn off most processing to see if that makes a difference.
I use my Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR mostly as a PRE/PRO. I use the built in amps for 4 ceiling ATMOS speakers. So I am mostly concerned about the performance of the preouts of the Yamaha.

View attachment 44531

View attachment 44532
Well what does mean @dumpingg as i have thr same yamaha 3060 amd looking to use it as pre/pro and get maybe a 11x or 9x. Also what is power rating your finding for the all 4 channels driven.... i would love to know how the 3060 against other avrs

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 44531

View attachment 44532

I wonder how accurate the results we can expect, compared to Amir's using the highly accurate and expensive AP? Aside from the sound card, laptop, REW (need a mic too or not, I guess not) what else would I need to try and do the same? What is REW EQ, just wonder about the "EQ" thing? Thank you.

Arran

I wonder how accurate the results we can expect, compared to Amir's using the highly accurate and expensive AP? Aside from the sound card, laptop, REW (need a mic too or not) what else would I need to try and do the same? What is REW EQ, just wonder about the "EQ" thing? Thank you.
I cant read what it all this quite means unlike amir's reviews wondering what if, even if not accurate this quick review means ie where does it rate the yamaha to other avrs is what im wondering?

Arran

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ement-setup-panasonic-xr57-avr-example.10589/

You can see my setup in the link above. I cannot say with certainty that my test setup is highly accurate, but the numbers I got with the XR57 test where in the same general ballpark as amir when he measured his XR57.
Hey @dumpingg just wondering where the yamaha 3060 falls in ratings would say its bad good medium or you know just an idoits guide to get me into stuff would nice thank you

OP
D

dumpingg

I have been happy with my yamaha AVR 3060. However I am not a typical user. For two channel listening my audio pass thru a raspberry pi volumio player to a dac and then to my amps along with a nanodigi for an active crossover to my speakers.

You can see here:
https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=mug&n=235807

For moving watching I use the AVR and use it to power my ATMOS ceiling speakers. I do use the AVR for volume control for movies and for the room correction.

Arran

I have been happy with my yamaha AVR 3060. However I am not a typical user. For two channel listening my audio pass thru a raspberry pi volumio player to a dac and then to my amps along with a nanodigi for an active crossover to my speakers.

You can see here:
https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=mug&n=235807

For moving watching I use the AVR and use it to power my ATMOS ceiling speakers. I do use the AVR for volume control for movies and for the room correction.
Thanks for the reply im happy as well but as with this hobby always wonder about how to improve it. Got 7.2.4 system running monitor audio silver 500s, 4 x silver 100s, 4 x inceiling 380 idc, dual sb 16s, 4 x q10b earthquakes inside my large u shaped sofa and footstool using 2x xj 700dsp amps. I would say my biggest improvement was the q10b earthquakes transformed films. Was thinking of going separte pre/pro but after amir's reviews dont think it really is worth the extra $$$. I have realised my speakers are quite thirsty and my center is recommended at 80w (200w max) i think will all 9 channels driven im guessing its more like 30-50w. Think it could make them really sing as well as everything else if i used a 11x monoprice 200w for 3, 100w for 8 perfect watts rating for my speakers. What do you think will my improvements be worth it and again thanks for the time.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I cant read what it all this quite means unlike amir's reviews wondering what if, even if not accurate this quick review means ie where does it rate the yamaha to other avrs is what im wondering?

Sorry, got the post mixed up with dumpingg, but you already know that..

OP
D

dumpingg

I think that for power your biggest upgrade was a set of good subwoofers. Next upgrade would be driving the front speakers with separate amps. Next also driving the center speaker with separate power amp. Last would be powering the ceiling and surround speakers with power amps. The ceiling/surrounds are just not that power hungry based on movie content and I think you will be fine with those on the AVR internal amps.

Top Bottom