• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quick and dirty room mode correction

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi everyone. I have comments and a question. I've moved for several months into an apartment near where I'm building a new home, and I've done a quick-and-dirty A/V setup in the small apartment living room using Dutch & Dutch 8C's, which let me avoid lots of boxes -- the Mac Mini server tucks behind the TV, and all that peeks out is a Topping D30 Pro.

Knowing there would be one or two dominant modes below 100hz at the general listening position, I used well-known tracks with thwacks and thumps at various low frequencies. I also used a mode calculation spreadsheet to estimate where modes might be. I was able to quickly narrow down the prime offender at 45hz -- and it's horrendous. A steep notch made it disappear, while notching at 40hz or 50hz was not as effective. So I've got the right number!

Since I use Roon, I have good parametric EQ available on the fly. I've provisionally settled at a Q of 10.

Question: Can anyone suggest a preferred Q or octave fraction for bass modes? I don't have access to my EQ mic and software for months, so I've got to get by on guesstimates.

Oh, and BTW, the feathery smoothness of the Dutch 8C above 200hz!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Hi everyone. I have comments and a question. I've moved for several months into an apartment near where I'm building a new home, and I've done a quick-and-dirty A/V setup in the small apartment living room using Dutch & Dutch 8C's, which let me avoid lots of boxes -- the Mac Mini server tucks behind the TV, and all that peeks out is a Topping D30 Pro.

Knowing there would be one or two dominant modes below 100hz at the general listening position, I used well-known tracks with thwacks and thumps at various low frequencies. I also used a mode calculation spreadsheet to estimate where modes might be. I was able to quickly narrow down the prime offender at 45hz -- and it's horrendous. A steep notch made it disappear, while notching at 40hz or 50hz was not as effective. So I've got the right number!

Since I use Roon, I have good parametric EQ available on the fly. I've provisionally settled at a Q of 10.

Question: Can anyone suggest a preferred Q or octave fraction for bass modes? I don't have access to my EQ mic and software for months, so I've got to get by on guesstimates.

Oh, and BTW, the feathery smoothness of the Dutch 8C above 200hz!
In a small room (assuming small apartment size room), it can be easier and cheaper to move your seating position out of the dip and or move the speakers closer to the MLP. Just a suggestion that many, not saying you, overlook.

AwesomeSauce2015

Main Listening Position

Less speaker->MLP distance means more direct sound which means less room effect...
Although very small rooms have their own issues. Room correction isn't really a 1 and done thing. You have to correct specifically for your setup.

I mean, my stereo is setup in a micro-sized room. I literally just don't try to correct the bass as it's way easier so just turn it down, and by turning it down the neighbors don't hate me as much :) And considering my speakers don't have much bass to begin with, it doesn't really impact the sound lol.
But that's just my preferred solution. Your solution will be different as you probably want to utilize the bass capabilities of your speakers.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Main Listening Position

Less speaker->MLP distance means more direct sound which means less room effect...
Although very small rooms have their own issues. Room correction isn't really a 1 and done thing. You have to correct specifically for your setup.

I mean, my stereo is setup in a micro-sized room. I literally just don't try to correct the bass as it's way easier so just turn it down, and by turning it down the neighbors don't hate me as much :) And considering my speakers don't have much bass to begin with, it doesn't really impact the sound lol.
But that's just my preferred solution. Your solution will be different as you probably want to utilize the bass capabilities of your speakers.
Oh lol,

I have a mid-size floorstanding in my small room(KEF R7), fun thing is i got +9dB in 88hz~, even the in-wall tv in my bedroom have '' impressive bass '' giving all the bass enhancement that I got from my small size room 3x3 mts.
That being said, i got some cancelation in the mid-bass, i don't longer have my speaker but as i can remember, i had only 1 position that i not cancel too much by itself. My plan was buy a umik-1..

I did some very bad quality measurements and I use a parametric EQ by ear. It took me 3 months to learn of my bedroom sounds like, but i dont have speakers for now..

MarkS

Major Contributor

Can't do better than a guesstimate without measurements. The Q depends on stuff like how absorptive the surfaces are.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Take measurements with REW, generate filters and export them to 8C.

Martijn Mensink

Industry Insider
Take measurements with REW, generate filters and export them to 8C.
Yes, please! I'm sure it will make a big difference.

Reactions: GDK
OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Did not read thoroughly. No "fix" by guessing, I'm afraid.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
As I mentioned in my posting, I cannot access my mic setup while I am living in the apt, hence the need to fix things as best as I can without.
Don't you have mobile phone? There are plenty of cheap apps that can measure a frequency sweep well enough to make a reasonable correction. I can recommend 'FFT' and other apps by Studio Six Digital.

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Don't you have mobile phone? There are plenty of cheap apps that can measure a frequency sweep well enough to make a reasonable correction. I can recommend 'FFT' and other apps by Studio Six Digital.
news to me! i will check it out.

Top Bottom