• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

quick and dirty Elipson Planet measurements

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently purchased a pair of Elipson Planet Ls and again some Planet Ms. I got some for great prices and wanted to add surrounds that would be permitted by the wife.

The Ls do look very nice in Mercury Ice on the dedicated floor stands!

Ls.jpg

Given they are both concentric driver speakers I thought I would do some quick measurements to see what they were like.

Note that these were done on the stands at 0.5m. While I didn't gate the measurements I guess they are "semi-quasi anechoic" given the distance removes enough of the room to see what is going on and, being, concentric, you can measure close.

Below are for the Planet L including bodged Spinorama based on only three measurements. Given the speakers are spherical, you can reasonably extrapolate them with a bit of license.
planet L responses.jpgplanet L distortion.jpgplanet L grill.jpgplanet L Power+DI.jpgplanet L Directivity (hor).jpg

It has a slightly rising response, bad resonance/absorption in the top octave and bass down to 55 Hz or so. Directivity, as expected given coaxial, is good apart from what on earth is going on in the top octave, which the grill makes worse. Distortion (at 84dBSPL@1m equivalent) is OK. Lucky I don't have any hearing left in the top octave. Elipson spec is +-3dB 48 Hz-20 kHz. Maybe with a bit of squinting! (note grill measurement made at a different time in a slightly different location so the bass is a bit different)

Below are the same for the much small Planet Ms.

planet m responses.jpgplanet m distortion.jpgplanet M Power+DI.jpgplanet M Directivity (hor).jpg

Apart from the complete lack of bass probably a bit nicer with smoother directivity. Response is quoted at 90 Hz - 22kHz +-3dB. Again this is stretch with 90 Hz being about the -10dB point.

In summary, the Planet L looks a flawed design with the issues in the top octave. The Polish site test certainly picked up the same. In the REW spectrogram plot you can see the stored energy at 10kHz easily. I assume this is due to something in the coaxial driver design. I can't give listening comments as I haven't really listened to either of them. They perform OK with the Ls as surrounds and Ms as Atmos elevation (for all the good they seem to do).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Geert

Major Contributor
In summary, the Planet L looks a flawed design with the issues in the top octave. picked up the same.
These speakers are to be used without too in. They actualy sound pretty good, imaging is amazing.

If I´m not mistaken there using a Seas driver, and the behavior in the high frequencies is inherent to that driver. Basic coaxial drivers often show such irregularities.

OP
dougi

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These speakers are to be used without too in. They actualy sound pretty good, imaging is amazing.

If I´m not mistaken there using a Seas driver, and the behavior in the high frequencies is inherent to that driver. Basic coaxial drivers often show such irregularities.
Yeah it looks like the driver is probably this one, based on it's description and photos here.

O Akroatís

Does anyone dare or can anyone compare or rate these Elipson Planet M's with the Gallo Acoustics Droplet A'Diva SE's?
Both could be a solution as suspended Atmos speakers roughly above my listening position.
The price difference is huge though, we've already seen...

CINERAMAX

Dealer
I love them, here at home they materialize 3d object audio on the Yes The Album Steven Wilson Atmos, The New Prince Feather and... Atmos Bluray and the new Duran Duran Dance Macabre Atmos by Bob Clearmountain, Frank Zappa Over-nite sensation ATMOS. OMG!!! I have never heard better object based imaging in a small room. I previously had Dynaudio Focus 380, 340 and 260, they were great but these image divinely , there is something about the shape....They need a good amp ATI 6000 here.

home setup
408468438_7041711782544348_7492244296203660291_n.jpg

Last edited:

norman bates

Forum Donor
300-400hz must be floor bounce, not present on the polish site.

Some translated mentions there................

"The processing characteristics show unevenness in the treble range..... The characteristics for different axes diverge clearly, but not dramatically, even at an angle of 30° the high tones are slightly below the level of the main part of the band..... Elipsons sound at least good when listened to from anywhere. A noticeable deviation concerns the treble, which is less present, making the sound darker, but the coherence remains intact and the sound is always lively and direct......... When we sit in the right place, there is more shine, more detail, still no excessive sharpening - the tonal balance is at least good.... Elipson feels best in chamber ensembles and "unplugged" music; dense arrangements and aggressive electronics tire him a bit, especially when they contain a demanding bass foundation....The low tones from the Elipson are thin and limited in extension. It's natural that speakers of this size don't have amazing bass, you can live with that, but adding a subwoofer is an option worth considering.... compressed recordings are quite friendly to Elipson... does not emphasize the recording defects, it softens the sound, which - although it loses some dynamics - remains natural and balanced.... the sensitivity is quite low - 83 dB - ...

Yea, coax usually measure a bit rough, but people seem to like the point source sound.....

Last edited:

CINERAMAX

Dealer
A point source, plus spherical in nature and free-floating in mid-air, this significantly enhances the percussiveness. The tactile impact experienced is somewhat akin to a cross between a bongo and a conga, notable for its directionality scale and intensity. This configuration appears to induce a sensation comparable to concussions, highlighting its profound auditory effect in object audio. Its not like I am alien to premium speakers , this enclosure is special.

Top Bottom