• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions on connecting two active speakers for stereo

Vrossi

Hi there,

I having one unit of Marshall Stanmore 2, and if I am to get another one, to give stereo pair through wired connection, I having following questions.
Reason for considering wired connection is because I need to have output (source from TV to the speaker)

1 - Can a Nobsound or Duok fully balanced passive preamp do the job? It has 2 Left and Right channel stereo output.

2 - As this Marshall speaker is a single box with woofer in the middle, and two tweeters in a single box (perhaps 25 cm apart), assuming if No.1 can work, each Left channel is sent mono to the left speaker.
Will it play on both tweeters in a single speaker?
Will this cause cancellation of each other, with both tweeters in a single speaker playing out a mono sound? And that affect sound quality?

Or will only a single tweeter plays the sound

How does bluetooth method of stereo pairing works (the Master and Slave signal), each speaker will only have a single tweeter playing a sound, or each speaker will also have both tweeters playing either Left or Right channel sound?

3. If I am to use the Nobsound passive preamp RCA output, and connect to the Marshall active speaker (each unit has Left and Right input for RCA).
If I use only a single cable going into only one input of RCA in the speaker, will it damage the speaker?
You do need to have both cables of L,R RCA plugged into the speaker?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You probably need to ask Marshall about this - the rest of us would be speculating about how they've implemented it unless someone has done a teardown to see what they've done.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi there,

I having one unit of Marshall Stanmore 2, and if I am to get another one, to give stereo pair through wired connection, I having following questions.
Reason for considering wired connection is because I need to have output (source from TV to the speaker)

1 - Can a Nobsound or Duok fully balanced passive preamp do the job? It has 2 Left and Right channel stereo output.

2 - As this Marshall speaker is a single box with woofer in the middle, and two tweeters in a single box (perhaps 25 cm apart), assuming if No.1 can work, each Left channel is sent mono to the left speaker.
Will it play on both tweeters in a single speaker?
Will this cause cancellation of each other, with both tweeters in a single speaker playing out a mono sound? And that affect sound quality?

Or will only a single tweeter plays the sound

How does bluetooth method of stereo pairing works (the Master and Slave signal), each speaker will only have a single tweeter playing a sound, or each speaker will also have both tweeters playing either Left or Right channel sound?

3. If I am to use the Nobsound passive preamp RCA output, and connect to the Marshall active speaker (each unit has Left and Right input for RCA).
If I use only a single cable going into only one input of RCA in the speaker, will it damage the speaker?
You do need to have both cables of L,R RCA plugged into the speaker?
Welcome Aboard @Vrossi.

OP
V

Vrossi

You probably need to ask Marshall about this - the rest of us would be speculating about how they've implemented it unless someone has done a teardown to see what they've done.
Noted, will be trying to drop a question to them

OP
V

Vrossi

Marshall technical support had replied me saying that if a device can give wired output separately with L and R channel, then there would be stereo sound. And just like bluetooth stereo pairing, sound will play on both tweeters. My question is, the each speaker configuration has a woofer a 2 tweeters about 25 cm apart, if those 2 tweeters of each speaker play same signal of either Left or Right channel together, would that cause issue with sound quality? They call it phase issues or cancellation of each other?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It will probably cause measurable variations in the horizontal plane, unless they're using waveguides to control the directivity of each tweeter to avoid this. You can see whether you think this is a problem for your listening conditions by playing a mono recording through your single speaker as that will have the same effect.

OP
V

Vrossi

It will probably cause measurable variations in the horizontal plane, unless they're using waveguides to control the directivity of each tweeter to avoid this. You can see whether you think this is a problem for your listening conditions by playing a mono recording through your single speaker as that will have the same effect.
I had played some mono recording from Spotify. I had tried listening to it with speaker in front of me , with speaker to the side/ i.e i am sitting offset away from speaker.

Being not directly in front, has slight degradation in sound quality, but not too bad.

Sitting facing speaker with mono music seem fine.

Hmart

Hi @Vrossi and all,
I also have a pair of Stanmore II and I want to connect them in stereo, sourced from my TV via RCA.

Based in your experience how should I connect the audio:
1) connect a single RCA cable per speaker (TV RCA Output - Left <-> Left_Speaker RCA Input - Left; TV RCA Output - Right <-> Right_Speaker RCA Input - Right)
or
2) split the TV RCA Output channels in 2xLeft + 2xRight and connect dual RCA cables per speaker (TV RCA Output - 2xLeft <-> Left_Speaker RCA Input - Left&Right; TV RCA Output - 2xRight <-> Right_Speaker RCA Input - Left&Right)

I would also like to connect my DVD player (via RCA, like the TV). For that, I'm thinking the get a device like PROZOR 2 in 1 Out R/L RCA Stereo Audio Switch, so I can conveniently switch source between the TV and the DVD player. Do you see any inconvenient on this setup?

Top Bottom