• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions on adding streamer to my system

Pado

Hi, I currently own Neumann KH80 speakers connected to Motu M2 audio interface.

I want to have a function of airplay, bluetooth and spotify connect on my system, so I was looking into WiiM mini, but it seems like I need an optical out.
What are the ways to connect WiiM mini to Motu M2?

Or any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would still need a XLR input for the use of Neumann MA1 microphone.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I currently own Neumann KH80 speakers connected to Motu M2 audio interface.

I want to have a function of airplay, bluetooth and spotify connect on my system, so I was looking into WiiM mini, but it seems like I need an optical out.
What are the ways to connect WiiM mini to Motu M2?

Or any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would still need a XLR input for the use of Neumann MA1 microphone.
I am not sure you can hook up the Motu at least I didn’t see any drivers for it and you would most likely loose control over the signal routing capabilities of the control SW. But I am not sure.

I once ran a RPi (Moode or Volumio) into a DAC and then into the KH80ies. Moode can do Airplay, Roon , UPnP etc. Prior I used the audio interface to set up MA1 and then afterwards connected the DAC/RPi Streamer combo.

Or you leave the PC / Muto running, but I guess that’s not really an option for various reasons

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
WiiM Mini only has Optical out (which you can't use) or Line out (analogue). Line out will work, but you'll use the WiiM's DAC which isn't horrible but is also not the best. Pretty sure it will sound fine.

MCH

Major Contributor
I believe a raspberry pi with moode audio can do what you want. moode audio is for free:

1676046679025.png

i would just ask someone who owns it if the motu works well in linux (the M4 does)

OP
P

Pado

WiiM Mini only has Optical out (which you can't use) or Line out (analogue). Line out will work, but you'll use the WiiM's DAC which isn't horrible but is also not the best. Pretty sure it will sound fine.
If I use "Mic/Line/Guitar" input from Motu M2 into RCA outputs in WiiM Pro, would it work as well? If so, is it using the DAC of the WiiM's?

Otherwise, Audient iD14 seems to offer Optical input, so I may change my audio interface.

Last edited:

JeremyFife

If I use "Mic/Line/Guitar" input from Motu M2 into RCA outputs in WiiM Pro, would it work as well? If so, is it using the DAC of the WiiM's?

Otherwise, Audient iD14 seems to offer Optical input, so I may change my audio interface.
Line Out from the WiiM to Line In on your Motu will work, and that will use the WiiM dac.
Optical out from the WiiM to Optical in on the iD14 is a bit perfect digital signal that will be converted by the iD14 dac.
They will probably both sound the same tbh , but the second option is technically 'better'.

OP
P

Pado

Line Out from the WiiM to Line In on your Motu will work, and that will use the WiiM dac.
Optical out from the WiiM to Optical in on the iD14 is a bit perfect digital signal that will be converted by the iD14 dac.
They will probably both sound the same tbh , but the second option is technically 'better'.
Nice to hear that both can work! But you think both will sound the same even though one is using WiiM's dac?
I haven't had much experiences with dacs as you can guess, so I'll try the first option and see if I like or not.

Thanks a lot for your help and the others who posted on this thread as well :)

JeremyFife

Nice to hear that both can work! But you think both will sound the same even though one is using WiiM's dac?
I haven't had much experiences with dacs as you can guess, so I'll try the first option and see if I like or not.

Thanks a lot for your help and the others who posted on this thread as well :)
Yeah - it's the difference between measuring better (being technically better in an engineering sense) and being audibly different. Much of the improvement with better DACs is below our threshold of audibility... we can't hear any difference.
This site opened my eyes (and ears) to this ... plenty of reading and references here if you are interested.

Top Bottom