• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions: Good audio practice.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
These questions stem from a comment in another thread regarding a DAC hooked directly to a computer and on reboot, there was an audible surge sent to a connected transducer.

Do people really think it is good practice to configure a system this way, without manual volume/preamp etc?

I never have nor would I ever do this.

Also, in addition.

It has always been general practice to turn on and off equipment in proper sequence to avoid such mishaps, is this something people here do/understand?

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always do the proper on/off sequence on/off but computers don't always switch off only when you tell them to.

I think if a company produces a USB DAC with onboard digital volume control then it's good practice to ensure that these kinds of surges are engineered out of the equation.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I think if a company produces a USB DAC with onboard digital volume control then it's good practice to ensure that these kinds of surges are engineered out of the equation.

I fully agree.

I have Topping D10 connected (and powered) via USB to Raspberry Pi driving my 2 amps directly as I'm using its digital volume control. I don't hear anything when I power up and/or shut down RPI and amps are on.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
These questions stem from a comment in another thread regarding a DAC hooked directly to a computer and on reboot, there was an audible surge sent to a connected transducer.

Do people really think it is good practice to configure a system this way, without manual volume/preamp etc?

I never have nor would I ever do this.

Also, in addition.

It has always been general practice to turn on and off equipment in proper sequence to avoid such mishaps, is this something people here do/understand?
Yes, turning stuff off or on in proper sequence is always a good idea, even for PC audio software, not just hardware. But, sometimes we forget or stuff just happens such as unexpected computer shutdown/reboot. And, sometimes things like Class D amps are always on, as are some in my system.

But, if your question is about direct connection of DACs to amps/speakers, that is exactly what I do. I have never had the slightest problem, even with live amps while reconnecting USB to the DAC or with PC shutdowns, system reboots, etc. There is a digital volume control in my DAC, so no intervening preamp is necessary or desirable. Even some great, supposedly transparent preamp/line stages were not as transparent as no line stage in my listening experience. I sold my Levinson line stage years ago for that reason.

There may be other protections built into my Exasound DAC, but the digital volume level itself does not seem to react to upstream reconnections, turn on/off, etc.

Top Bottom