• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions for the Knowledgeable - APx555, Analog Filtering, and Test Signals

BrEpBrEpBrEpBrEp

I had some questions RE: the APx555, and I figured I'd ask the knowledgeable membership here.

So, I understand it uses a (variable?) analog notch filter (plus preamp, splitting signal, second ADC, etc.) before the ADC, in order to cut out the test tone frequency and take measurements with ADC distortion < -150 dB. I'm curious about the following:

1. How many simultaneous tones can be handled? Is it only a single notch filter, to handle one tone at a time, and after that you're limited to the ADC's distortion?
2. What about signal generation? Do they implement a similar solution after the DAC with a band-pass filter to cut out any DAC distortion of the test signal? Edit: Never mind, I've found out the AP has an analog signal generator as well.

Thanks in advance to any APx555 owners/connoisseurs who can answer.

Edit: if anyone else is curious and finds this, I ended up finding a decent rundown at the below link.

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/07/pictures-audio-precision-apx555-b.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom