• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions about first setup

Dust

Hello guys,

I'm planning to get a pair of passive speakers to go with my Audio Technica LP120X turntable, however I'm not too sure if some of the speakers I narrowed down are a little ambitious for my study room. The room is 3m x 2.5m, and the speakers would be placed on my table with stands. I listen to hip hop and R&B mostly and the source would either be my PC or the turntable so amps with bluetooth would be preferred.

I'm based in Malaysia and prices might vary a little, the amps I'm eyeing are SMSL AD18 ($120) Aiyima TPA3255 2.0 ($60). And a few of the speakers I have in mind are the Dali Spektor 2 ($310), ELAC Debut 5.2 ($325), JBL Stage A130 ($340). Speakers don't really go on sale often and I have a budget of around $350 for the speakers. I guess the question is, are some of these speakers are a little too big for my room size? I was thinking of going with active speakers as Edifier's like the R1280DBs/R1700 can be bought for around $80 and I can spend a little on a headphone setup, but getting a passive setup seems to be the general concensus.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those active Edifier speakers are much worse, would not recommend them. JBL Stage A130 are pretty good, get those and the TPA3255 amp.

When you have more money get a subwoofer. It will greatly improve the listening experience, especially for genres like hip hop.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm an unabashed JBL fanboi.

Is the 308p available in KL?

OP
D

Dust

I'm an unabashed JBL fanboi.

Is the 308p available in KL?
Yeah they go for around $430 almost the same price as a pair of Adam Audio T5V, at that price point I was eyeing a pair of Q Acoustics 3020i or Triangle BR03 but the price point is a little steep and I'm still relatively new to audio gear. I've yet to discover the sound signature of my liking and none of the audio stores would accept return's

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah they go for around $430 almost the same price as a pair of Adam Audio T5V...

Those little JBL have internal amplification.

VanO

I run a pair of Dali Spektor 2s off an Aiyima A07 amp. I have them in a 2.2 coffee table set up and I think they pair up well for a small listening area. I have them on 6" Kanto stands. Good bass for the size and not too bright on the top.

Top Bottom