• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions about dac amp combo from a newbie

Jsr

Hi, I have been looking into getting a dac and headphone amplifier. I have no experience with both.

Right now I'm leaning towards a khadas tone board(122 € ) and a JDS Labs Atom(150 € )

The headphone price range will be between a dt770 and hd 650, I will have to listen to a couple of different headphones when I get the dac and amp.

I will also be using the khadas and Atom signal for my integrated amplifier(using the atom as a pre amplifier) and speakers, so the quality of that signal is equally important.
-Is there something better at this pricepoint?
-Will the signal from the Atom to my integrated amp be good? And where in the chain should I adjust the volume? Would i be better off down the line with a seperate dac for my integrated amp?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

oohlou

DAC -> Atom -> amp

The Atom works fine as a preamp. The RCA output is turned off when headphones are plugged in.

If this is something you are sitting next to I would use the volume knob on the Atom. If you are not next to it and your integrated amp has a remote adjust it there. I don't think it makes a big difference, but I'll defer to the experts.

Reactions: Tks

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I have been looking into getting a dac and headphone amplifier. I have no experience with both.
Right now I'm leaning towards a khadas tone board(122 € ) and a JDS Labs Atom(150 € )
The headphone price range will be between a dt770 and hd 650, I will have to listen to a couple of different headphones when I get the dac and amp.
I will also be using the khadas and Atom signal for my integrated amplifier(using the atom as a pre amplifier) and speakers, so the quality of that signal is equally important. -Is there something better at this price point?
-Will the signal from the Atom to my integrated amp be good? And where in the chain should I adjust the volume? Would i be better off down the line with a separate DAC for my integrated amp? Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.
I think the DAC and headphone and the way your connecting them it fine.
Headphone wise, check out the Soundmagic HP151 or HP 200 and Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X headphones.

Top Bottom