• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions about Acourate software

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I know quite a few on this forum use Acourate software tools in their systems so was hoping I could get some basic questions answered that I haven't been able to discern skimming the documentation. I'd like to set up a Win/Linux box to basically do everything that my miniDSP4x10 is already doing + FIR and phase manipulation. So I'm thinking possibly invest in Acourate if it works with my signal chain.

• I have a 3 way active XO system that also controls 3 subs so must be able to handle the hardware end.
  • My sources are local audio files primarily. I do have Tidal but probably won't keep the subscription as my internet is truly abysmal here so streaming is rough (roughly 3x dial up speeds) :facepalm:
  • I'm a Mac guy and have been comfortably using iTunes for 25+ years despite it's bloat and limitations. I'd like to keep using the Mac as front end and just feed the signal to the new box like I would a DAC or miniDSP - possible? I see a lot of you are using it as a plugin for JRiver or Roone.
  • Which version? Acourate or Acourate Convolver? Looks like they both do XO but Convolver is considerably cheaper.

Any words of wisdom to share in this possible scenario?

I've got a pile of these old tiny Aopen signage boxes with C2D processors and able to use 4-8GB RAM and anything from XP-7 + any Linux distro. Acourate would run just fine according to their system requirments and they still sell super cheap on fleabay:
Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 10.52.44 PM.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Which version? Acourate or Acourate Convolver?

I could be mistaken, but Acourate creates the correction filters, the Convolver applies them to the music as it plays, so, both.

Last edited:
OP
DWPress

DWPress

Forum Donor
Wow, $400+ tax then, doesn't make sense to sell them separate if you can't use one without the other. Not to complain, fairly cheap actually compared to the rest of the kit and considering the reviews it's gotten from folks like Amir, Marchaudio and others.

I guess I'd like to hear more regarding my other questions and if I truly need both apps.

I know I could do similar with the free software out there for unix/xp but I don't want to have to code anything anymore or read a book and run things on the command line only. It's the 21st century, I want a clean GUI and a relatively idiot proof process by god!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow, $400+ tax then, doesn't make sense to sell them separate if you can't use one without the other.

You can.

I have AcourateDRC (call it a lite version of Acourate). It generates files. Then, I load the files into a minDSP (call it a hardware convolver).

Same idea applies to the full version. If you already have a "convolver" you don't need to buy another one.

Unless I am mistaken.

For example, HQPlayer:

"For digital room correction and other equalization purposes, selectable convolution algorithms are included. Convolution engine supports RIFF (WAV) format FIR impulse responses, which can be produced with suitable software, such asAcourate, Room EQ Wizard + rePhase, Audiolense, or DRC. "

OP
DWPress

DWPress

Forum Donor
Ahhh, I see now. I'm familiar with the miniDSP options and offerings but want to ditch the dedicated box and use an old PC which will have tons more processing power than the SHARC platform can offer and miniDSP's software implementation. I've been limited with the 4x10 to biquads and the paraEQ and, after 6 years using it, have a certain distrust of the hardware/firmware and don't want to be tied to it anymore.

So I guess big question then is - can I still use the Mac as front end somehow and send it to a box running convolver software?

I'm not totally against replacing iTunes, I tried JRiver's Mac version trial (Media Center I think) and it was ok but I didn't dig in at the time to see if it allowed for plugins like the Win versions. I'll check right now....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Somebody else will have an answer.

What you're up to is a little beyond my level of interest at this time.

The miniDSP sits in front of my DAC and all sources pass through it (or not, I'm flexible).

It's limited on taps for FIR, but, works well enough, as long as I don't look at @mitchco's or @dallasjustice's or other's setups too closely or too often.

My next "one of these days" project is to move the Cheezewoofers around, and see what happens.

labdoc

One option may be to run the Mac as a standalone music server-controller-network streamer and run Acourate on a separate PC. For example, I use a linux box running a squeezebox derivative (Daphile) as you could use the Mac. USB to AES converter; AES into AD/DAC (RME FirefaceFX) and analog out to my subs and mains (2+2). Of course you can get a demo copy of Acourate from Uli at Audiovero.de and ask him how to best accomplish what you wish to do.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I know quite a few on this forum use Acourate software tools in their systems so was hoping I could get some basic questions answered that I haven't been able to discern skimming the documentation. I'd like to set up a Win/Linux box to basically do everything that my miniDSP4x10 is already doing + FIR and phase manipulation. So I'm thinking possibly invest in Acourate if it works with my signal chain.

• I have a 3 way active XO system that also controls 3 subs so must be able to handle the hardware end.
  • My sources are local audio files primarily. I do have Tidal but probably won't keep the subscription as my internet is truly abysmal here so streaming is rough (roughly 3x dial up speeds) :facepalm:
  • I'm a Mac guy and have been comfortably using iTunes for 25+ years despite it's bloat and limitations. I'd like to keep using the Mac as front end and just feed the signal to the new box like I would a DAC or miniDSP - possible? I see a lot of you are using it as a plugin for JRiver or Roone.
  • Which version? Acourate or Acourate Convolver? Looks like they both do XO but Convolver is considerably cheaper.

Any words of wisdom to share in this possible scenario?

I've got a pile of these old tiny Aopen signage boxes with C2D processors and able to use 4-8GB RAM and anything from XP-7 + any Linux distro. Acourate would run just fine according to their system requirments and they still sell super cheap on fleabay:
View attachment 24257
Ok, first point is that Acourate is the software that designs the convolver files/filters. Acourate Convolver is the software that actually performs the convolving/filtering during playback. It acts like a virtual soundcard so any media player can send audio to it and it then filters and sends the modified audio to your physical soundcard.

Also media players such as Roon or J River can load the filter files from Acourate and can play directly to your soundcard. This wasn't an option in my particular circumstance as I needed to take in live audio from the soundcard for theatre use, which AC can do. Also you have to write a config text file for JR which imo is a PITA. Acourate convolver is much easier to set up in this respect. Choose input channel (ie left or right) select the filter you want (ie left woofer) select soundcard output channel.

So if you still want to use a mac front end you will require media player software that will run on both machines and can operate other remote zones. Roon will and so will J River. So a copy of either will run on the mac and on the PC. You just select the PC as the output zone from the mac.

Easy.

My vote would be for Roon btw

Last edited:
OP
DWPress

DWPress

Forum Donor
@March Audio and others - sorry to drop out of the conversation and thank you for the concise info above, it really helped. I've spent the last few days looking into everything that's been said so I wouldn't ask stupid questions. I've got a trial of Roon going right now and really like it so far with the integration of Tidal but the lack of hundreds of pics in the "artist view" is disappointing. I'd already used my JRiver trial so can't compare side by side but Roon @ $120/year is off putting considering they can't even match those artist pics.

The biggest issue was getting my mind around the various correction offerings out there and how they interact with the players. Some are plugin based (Audirvana), some take the measurement data like Roon & JRiver. Dirac has totally disappeared though I see it's being worked on to be stand alone again for Mac/PC in the future but will be only plugin based. I discovered and am in the free trial phase of Sonarworks Reference 4 (plugin or whole system) which is interesting and has subjectively improved the sound but lacks a lot of features for the money though home audio listening is not their target. Also reconsidering just doing it all in REW and rePhase and just taking the time vrs instant gratification.

I guess at this point I'll cool my heels and keep learning what I can. Good to know I can send to another endpoint with the likes of Roon & JRiver and get the server/processing part of the audio chain off the Mac I use for everything else and get rid of the miniDSP 4x10 box completely for the reasons mentioned above. I'll need an 8-10 channel USB sound card or pro device of some kind to take the signal to the amps and looking around at options it looks like the low end of the totem pole is a Asus XONAR U5 or a miniDSP U-DAC8.

Any suggestions for a better multichannel DAC? That RME Fireface is outside my budget, it would be nice to keep it around the $500 range. For my needs 24/96 is adequate, no need for DSD or other high res formats to be supported.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Consider a miniDSP U-DIO8 and your personal choice of stereo DACs

OP
DWPress

DWPress

Forum Donor
I see my above question has been answered in other forum posts so I'll just keep digging away. Thanks everyone for the education and pointing the way.

Top Bottom