• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questioning the MiniDSP 2x4 sound quality.

GimeDsp

OK, that is a lot of uncontrolled variables.

To do a proper comparison you need to keep the amplifier input sensitivity and gain knob position constant. I agree that using the 0.9 V setting on the miniDSP and lower input sensitivity on the amplifier would allow for a more apples to apples comparison. I would also verify that the miniDSP is not attenuating output at the 0.9 V input setting by playing a test tone and measuring the SU-6 output voltage and then routing the SU-6 to the miniDSP and measuring the miniDSP output voltage.

All that being said the 2X4 obviously has limited output voltage and an objectively rather poor ADC/DAC but I would expect that to manifest itself in increased hiss, not lack of dynamics.

In terms of alternative DSPs the 2X4HD is a bit of step up in performance and would allow you to eliminate the SU-6 and the additional DA/AD that comes with it by taking an optical or USB input (unsure of what your source is upstream of the SU-6). Newly announced miniDSP Flex has much better spec'd analog performance but is quite a bit more expensive.

Honestly one of the cheapest ways to get improved analog performance would be to find a used nanoDIGI like this -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fs-minidsp-nanodigi-2x8-b.29647/ and add 2 decent performance $100 DACs.

Michael
DB/spl level can be very important when comparing closely matched gear. even .5db different can make two same sounding pieces sounded different, but my experience with miniDSP is different, I found the ddrc-24 sounded worse then all my other gear at any and every level.

I have been mixing live sound for 15 years and have used a lot of gear. Some mixing boards have EQ's and compression that just sounds so good, a little sounds good, a lot sounds good, other mixing boards work but never sound good. And a good amount of this was with touring/traveling groups, so same guitar, same eq adjustments just on different systems.

I do not know of any DSP as cheap as mini-DSP, sorry.

Pattern

there may be some small degradation of sound quality from using my DDRC-24 via analog in and analog out, but any loss in that respect is absolutely dwarfed by the benefits.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm in the need for a DSP that isn't $500 and doesn't degrade the sound quality. I'm at a loss atm but glad I found this thread. I've since sold my minidsp but it absolutely degraded the sound in some manner.

Robster

Opened the unit up and it was set for 0.9Vrms. Switched it to 2.0 just for the hell of it and the only difference is lower volume available.

i wish I could describe the poor sound quality. Its like the dynamic range and openess to the sound is squashed. no space between instruments and somewhat harsh. It is not distorted or noisey though.
The best i can come up with is the comparison to my motherboard's realtec soundcard. Sounds a lot like it.
Hi, i had the exact same experience with my 4x10hd, it just sounded harsh. It took
me quite some time before i realised it was the minidsp. I tried every setting and combination of input to no avail. Eventually i got rid of it.

Top Bottom