• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question: UPS Store Packaging

wgb113

Does anyone here have any experience using their packaging services when you no longer had the original box for electronics? I've got some speakers I'd like to sell but only doing so locally might take a while so if I could ship them that would be ideal.

gvl

Major Contributor
Based on some items I received that went through these "services" I'd avoid them at all costs.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use the UPS Store to package, insure and ship anything and it is damaged in shipment UPS will cover your losses 100%. The problem I've had is most items I've had them package are damaged in shipment because they normally use packing peanuts, bubble wrap and single standard weight boxes which is insufficient for heavy items like large electronics and speakers. Electronics and speakers require double boxing and/or heavy weight boxes and foam sheets and corner protectors for proper protection. Good luck.

ta240

Major Contributor
I'd only consider it if they will stand behind the packaging job 100% if it is damaged in any way in transit and will listen to you when you tell them how fragile it is. Keep in mind that some speaker drivers can be heavy enough to rip loose inside the speaker even if the speaker box itself isn't damaged when it is dropped from high enough.

Otherwise follow Martin's instructions and don't do like some people that just pad one side of the item. I get so many shipments where they just pad one side. I had a guy tell me once "I padded the bottom of it" Too bad the bottom of the box ended up being the top when it was dropped.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think you would do better if you bought the supplies or in my case -- save them from all the packages we get -- to pack them yourself.

One problem with speakers is size. Often they don't fit any normal boxes and you wind up having to use super sized boxes that cost more to ship.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
+1 for everyone who had UPS destroy equipment by shipping in lightweight boxes. insurance coverage was a nightmare too.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir knows that I have shipped a lot of speakers. If the speakers are of value, you need to package it yourself. You need to first protect the grilles and the binding posts. Then pack them tightly in a box where the speaker cannot move if jostled. Using foam board is helpful.

Then you need to line the first box with foam and then double box a bigger exterior box around it. That adds even more strength. There should be no movement.

Pack each speaker separately. Use 3-day Air Service if you are going to a different coast.

I have had speakers that are 130 lbs each shipped from Japan and had no issues. I have had amplifiers shipped from Germany with broken plastic feet because the shipper used peanuts instead.

In many cases you may be able to buy the original packaging or equivalent from the vendor.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a store called Fraigle Pack that does custom packaging of fraigle items. Never had a problem even shipping speakers FedEx. You might check to see if there is something similar where you live.

OP
wgb113

wgb113

Sounds like they’ll be local pickup only. I wish I could find a place that used that expandable foam in gray plastic stuff with appropriate sized boxes. I’ve saved boxes and packing material for newer gear but these are from college so they’re long gone.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Check out a Uline catalog, they specialize in shipping products. Before I (was) retired, our shop bought a lot of materials from them for shipping odd sized products.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I concur on don't let them pack it for you. Every time people I know did that with audio items it was a bust.

I've sometimes had luck getting big boxes from appliance stores for things like speakers. If you look around their scrap, you can even find rigid internal inserts that are handy for the side where the drivers are. I'd cut down to fit snuggly what I had and more or less make the box. With a little bit of looking at it I don't find it hard to do. I use tape on all seams. And always double box.

Oh, and for the person you are sending it to, label which side the drivers are on as well as top and bottom. That way they aren't in danger of slicing open things where they might slice a driver as well.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Also, if you need to add styrofoam to strengthen your boxes, Home Depot or other bldg. supply stores sell (1/2" or 3/4"?) styrofoam ext. insulation in for 4x8' sheets with a plastic liner on one side. I used this to reinforce boxes when I shipped 2 or 3 prs. of fiberglass HD saddlebags. Just be sure to wrap your items in plastic because if the styro moves around against the finish it will rub it off.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Large speakers should be strapped to a pallet and shipped by truck.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Large speakers should be strapped to a pallet and shipped by truck.

And be packaged in such a way that If the strap securing the pallet to the truck slips off and the large speaker falls to its side, nothing breaks

Top Bottom