• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question: Topping D10S-DoukAudioU2Pro-S.M.S.L. PO100AK, Mini PC via Toslink to HT5.1...

PB21

Hi. I don't know if it is the right section, I hope yes (it's my first post here).
Sorry to bother but I kindly wanted to ask you for some opinions/advice.
As I would like to deploy a fairly high-end mini PC with Ryzen 9/intel i9 (as a replacement for an android TV box, I have already considered the Nvidia Shield pro as well, but it has a few too many bugs and especially via browser it is not very usable being Android TV...), connecting it to the Yamaha 5.1 home theater alongside the device I use only for flac music and movies (which is connected via classic coaxial), as well as as a backup let's say, since my laptop feels the years.
I would like to use the Mini for occasional streaming, but surely though, I will experiment with software such as Jriver (which I already have on the laptop, which is not used connected to the HT, just in case), or even Audirvana, Daphile or the like, with the Flac library
I would like to connect the mini PC via digital Toslink to the HT (I got the cable for the TV box, and I don't feel like throwing it away) , but since no mini pc has toslink output (not even the Intel NUCs which have 7.1 audio, but only via hdmi), I would like to use a converter or external sound card via USB with Toslink output.
I don't want to splurge on high-cost devices, so I have narrowed down to converter DAC devices such as the Douk Audio U2 Pro, the S.M.S.L. PO100AK (which also supports DSD and MQA, that it's a plus...), and the "probably more suitable for headphones but maybe not only" Topping D10S (but I read here some issues with this) , and I have also peeked at a external sound card like the Creative Sound blaster X4, while the Ifi Zen has Toslink In and not Out, the FiiO K3 it's another option, like the M-Audio Super DAC, and I don't know if there are any other suitable external sound cards with Toslink output and USB input (not under some price point).
Incidentally, I don't think any of these support 5.1 or higher, apart from Creative (but I think that via Toslink it only goes in stereo and not multichannel, but maybe I'm wrong).
For precision, I would like to do PC - USB device with Toslink out - to Home Theater Toslink In.
I am asking someone who perhaps has experimented with this or can give me some advice, or who has already used the above devices, or has set up some Htpc with various connections, or otherwise knows more about it than I do.
Thanks in advance, and sorry if I probably wrote some crap

Last edited:

Alcophone

For what it's worth, the Topping D10 (no experience with the D10s) has worked well for me as a USB to S/PDIF converter. I like that it doesn't need separate power and that it has a sample rate display. It is bit perfect.
I cannot recommend the miniDSP USBStreamer B (should you stumble upon it) because it is too picky with TOSLINK cables, especially at higher sample rates.

OP
PB21

PB21

For what it's worth, the Topping D10 (no experience with the D10s) has worked well for me as a USB to S/PDIF converter. I like that it doesn't need separate power and that it has a sample rate display. It is bit perfect.
I cannot recommend the miniDSP USBStreamer B (should you stumble upon it) because it is too picky with TOSLINK cables, especially at higher sample rates.
Uhm, do you have any problem with the Topping?
I've read about some issues with the D10S/B (in reliability especially).
For now, I'm on the way to the SMSL PO100AK, but the Topping, such as an external sound card are options that make me really undecided.

Alcophone

Uhm, do you have any problem with the Topping?
I've read about some issues with the D10S/B (in reliability especially).
Not really. I guess the TOSLINK port could be more snug, but that's a common grievance with TOSLINK.
Doesn't mean too much for the newer version, of course.

For now, I'm on the way to the SMSL PO100AK, but the Topping, such as an external sound card are options that make me really undecided.
Get both, tell us which one you like better and return the other one ;)

OP
PB21

PB21

Not really. I guess the TOSLINK port could be more snug, but that's a common grievance with TOSLINK.
Doesn't mean too much for the newer version, of course.

Get both, tell us which one you like better and return the other one ;)
Yes, that's an option that I've given a lot in consideration.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Yes, that's an option that I've given a lot in consideration.
I will save you the hassle, same setup but a Dell 5090 Micro pc on the downstairs MRX740, just got my SMSL P0100 (actually 2 now because they lost one then it showed up) The topping was problematic so much so Toppin did offer me to return it to them at my cost. So my friend gave me his D10B, same issues wouldn't stay locked Tidal and Qobuz would just drop out mostly on 88 and 96 tracks. the SMSL is working flawlessly.

OP
PB21

PB21

I will save you the hassle, same setup but a Dell 5090 Micro pc on the downstairs MRX740, just got my SMSL P0100 (actually 2 now because they lost one then it showed up) The topping was problematic so much so Toppin did offer me to return it to them at my cost. So my friend gave me his D10B, same issues wouldn't stay locked Tidal and Qobuz would just drop out mostly on 88 and 96 tracks. the SMSL is working flawlessly.
Oh, thanks!
I think I'll go for the PO100AK (it's in my Amazon cart), I've read that there are too many problems with Topping (and apparently it doesn't work with Android, in case I need it...).

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Oh, thanks!
I think I'll go for the PO100AK (it's in my Amazon cart), I've read that there are too many problems with Topping (and apparently it doesn't work with Android, in case I need it...).
I read it again but what is the primary use for the PC? Does the AVR have HDMI? ASR just revied an Amazon basic HDMI audio extractor that measured perfectly,(For Output to coax) I would give your HDMI a shot too (if you can) IMO you can't have too many output options.

OP
PB21

PB21

I read it again but what is the primary use for the PC? Does the AVR have HDMI? ASR just revied an Amazon basic HDMI audio extractor that measured perfectly,(For Output to coax) I would give your HDMI a shot too (if you can) IMO you can't have too many output options.
Well..., the main use is for streaming movies-TV series, web browsing, but I will most likely use it for experiments with music players and my flac library.
I want to use the current good Toslink cable I have on the Android box, because I don't want to put it in a corner.

Top Bottom