• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question: Small Bookshelf or Center Speaker?

sofrep811

I live in a studio apartment, so I cannot blast anything, unless it's daytime. Low levels at night at about 9 O'clock on the volume dial. I picked up some cheap JBL Arc 10's and I hate them. My budget is small and my system even smaller-I'll list below. But I was thinking--maybe a $120 center speaker might be a good answer? I've never even owned a passive center speaker, so I figured I'd check on opinions.

My current set-up:

1. Parasound Zamp (Bought for $100 and is like new)
2. Schiit Sys passive preamp ($49)
3. Denon 2910 Universal Player ($5 at second hand charity store)
4. JBL Arc 10 ($10 )

The speakers are all treble and not even a hint of bass. System below, with Denon off to side.
IMG_1571.JPG

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Nevermind ... just realized that those speakers really are bass light ...

OP
sofrep811

sofrep811

Let me get this straight: You’re wanting to add a center channel speaker to a stereo pair you don’t like?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
No sir. Just thinking of getting a cheap center on Craigslist and using it separately. There's a B&W and Definitive Tech center speaker this guy has for sale, among many other things, and he'd sell for either under $80 each. I checked current prices and he's about 30% lower than I could find.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

The speakers are all treble and not even a hint of bass.

Sounds like you have the polarity reversed on one of them.

Either that – for $10, are you sure the speakers aren’t damaged? Or maybe someone along the way opened them up and reversed the wires on one of the woofers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

OP
sofrep811

sofrep811

Sounds like you should add a subwoofer.

I would...but it would be too much. It was just a thought on the center speaker. One center is $40 and I think I'll try it, and if it doesn't work, just figure out something else down the line.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would...but it would be too much. It was just a thought on the center speaker. One center is $40 and I think I'll try it, and if it doesn't work, just figure out something else down the line.

Just save your $40. This is not going to do a good thing for sound nor will it do what you wish. As already asked, how are you going to connect this center speaker?

Look for subwoofers on craigslist. You'll mostly get subs for cars, but there will be a few for home use. Some may cost no more or little more than buying a center. The center speaker isn't going to fix anything for you.

Top Bottom