• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question(s) regarding upsampling in software to match internal sampling rate of a DAC

euge_lee

Hello, newbie here and love reading all the informative discusssions!

I have a couple questions regarding the "optimal/best" method (if even theoretical) for handing sampling rates. I was reading last night about my MiniDSP 2x4 HD which is basically my "DAC/PreAmp" before an amplifier and powered subs. The MiniDSP internally processes at 24/96kHz so I was wondering...

Should I have Roon do the SRC to 96kHz because (theoretically, or maybe proven) the CPU processing of my Roon Core would do it better than the hardware on a MiniDSP 2x4 HD? Any difference if I upgrade to a MiniDSP Flex?

Also, do we know for sure that if I send it "native" 96kHz that it won't blindly re-sample it again despite it processing 96kHz to 96kHz? Does the logic inside the programming know to not bother processing it or is there a chance/likelihood that "dumb" logic inside would take anything (even what it wants natively) and apply resampling just to be sure? If this is the case, then I may be adding an unnecessary step in Roon by matching my DAC's native sampling rate.

And depending on the answers to above... then should I also set my Roon zone for my Home Theater (Marantz AVR) to 48kHz?

I know that ideally any upsampling should be done by the "power of 2" but since a device wants a specific native sampling rate but to do proper matching, this would also include upsampling by factors other than x2.

EDIT: BTW, I absolutely don't have good enough ears to hear any difference, it's just the geek in me wanting to know just to know... and I enjoy tinkering with settings to get them "optimal" despite any audible differences. :)

Top Bottom