• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question Regarding these AVR Tests

01svtL

I have a V1 NAD T758 (Non-Dirac). I'm looking to upgrade to something with 2 sub inputs that will room correct for each one. I have 2 10" Speedwoofers up front next to my mains (I would sum these into a single input with a splicer), and then a 15" HSU ULS sub in the corner of the room to fill in the ultra lows and take advantage of corner loading gains (would plug into 2nd input, obviously).
That said, do any of these tests matter if I end up using the room correction? Meaning, if I went with a used 36/3700 Denon for XT32 (~1-1100) or picked up a used (~$5-600) Anthem MRX520 and ran it as a pre to a power amp ($600 Buckeye) in order to use ARC, does it matter that the 3600 measured so much better in these tests? I only have a left and right as far as speakers go, so I run a 2.3 setup. Music is my main focus, all from digital sources. There's a bass suck where I have my speakers and 10" subs, for whatever reason, which is why I NEED the room correction.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even the avrs that can deal with two subs independently, it's level and delay being dealt with independently, they'll still be eq'd together. FWIW the Denon 3800/4800 otoh have the ability to do four subs independently in that manner. If you want subs to cover different frequency ranges that might be better addressed by a miniDSP unit...Do you have the ability to try other sub positions at all?

Having better measurements is nice, but not necessarily audible. People have enjoyed lesser measuring gear for many years now.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People have enjoyed lesser measuring gear for many years now.
Yes they have.

1950s-living-rooms-1.jpg

Having better measurements is nice, but not necessarily audible.

I would say this differently. Having better measurements is nice, but it may not be important.

OP

01svtL

Even the avrs that can deal with two subs independently, it's level and delay being dealt with independently, they'll still be eq'd together. FWIW the Denon 3800/4800 otoh have the ability to do four subs independently in that manner. If you want subs to cover different frequency ranges that might be better addressed by a miniDSP unit...Do you have the ability to try other sub positions at all?

Having better measurements is nice, but not necessarily audible. People have enjoyed lesser measuring gear for many years now.

I couldn't try other sub positions with direct connections. It would have to be with a wireless receivers, which I guess I'm not completely opposed to. The TV and speakers cannot be moved, though. I have built the DIYSG Helix MTM, which is supposed to have strong bass. Not in my room, I guess. Assuming I built and stuffed them correctly. The 10" Speedwoofers definitely helped out.

Propheticus

By different placement, we don't necessarily mean the other side of the room.
It could be as easy as pushing your subs further back towards the wall (yes, really, closer to the wall). This could be a change of 20cm.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a bass suck where I have my speakers and 10" subs, for whatever reason, which is why I NEED the room correction.
Perhaps your listening position is in a null? Have you tried REW to run room simulations? If you are sitting in the wrong location for the room you can keep adding subs till the cows come home.

Assuming that is not your problem, then adding another sub in the corner may do the trick, again using REW or another room modeling app could be very helpful before you start randomly throwing money and equipment at the problem.

Alternatively you can move around the room and see if what you are hearing changes markedly... and temporarily try moving the subs around the room on long temp cables to see what that does. "Room correction" should always be done after you physically correct as much as you can.

Top Bottom