• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question regarding choosing an AVR with BMR Monitors as center and sides

ekdouglas

I’m in the process of setting up my first home theater system in my about 11’x15’ listening space. I plan to integrate the audio equipment I use and with be using the system for both critical listening and watching films.

My music system presently consists of a Mac Mini --> Topping D10 --> JDS Labs EL II+ --> Bryston 3b St -->BMR Monitors.

I plan to add a third BMR Monitor for a center channel and Polk ES10s for the sides. I will not be using a subwoofer as the BMRs already go low enough for my needs and my downstairs neighbors would not appreciate the extra bass. I also do not plan on using rear speakers or atmos because of the size of the room and that most of the films I’m inclined to watch are encoded neither for 7.1 or atmos.

So, I’m hoping to find an AVR with the ability to cleanly drive the BMR monitors to moderate listening levels in my smallish room or preouts that would let me connect an external amplifier to the two BMR fronts. I’m not too worried about the performance of the internal DACs of the AVR as I plan to use an external DAC-->RCA audio in jacks for critical listening.

The two possibilities I’ve come up with are the Denon AVR-X3700H and the Marantz NR1510. The Denon I can get new for $1100 and the Marantz refurbished for $500.
From what I can tell from Amir’s review, the Denon amplifier section has all the power I’ll ever need. At the same time, it also has more features than I’ll ever use. With the Marantz my main concerns would be having enough poser in the amplifier section, not having features I don’t realize I need, and buying refurbished.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Eric

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I’m not too worried about the performance of the internal DACs of the AVR as I plan to use an external DAC-->RCA audio in jacks for critical listening.
So critical listening would be stereo only in "Pure Direct" mode?
(Besides, I would not be worried about DAC performance either way. It's fine. There's a PGA following anyway.)

Given that you already have an external power amp for the fronts, that would alleviate my biggest concern about the NR1510 (not the beefiest power amp section in the world). With most of the bass out of the way, it should handle center and surrounds perfectly fine.

Sounds like a plan if you ask me.

OP
E

ekdouglas

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, I'll be listening in stereo only in "Pure Direct" mode.

The next questions would be:
--How much is Audyssey XT32 worth in my use case. I've read that it's much better than the other versions.
--If I went with the Denon AVR-X3700H whould I be able to just sell my Bryston. It would more pay for the difference between the Denon and Marantz and the Bryston is much more amplifier than I need.

Thanks,

Eric

birdog1960

Very similar to my set up if you got the x3700. I have the 3500. I do think the addition of a sub helps but my room is bigger. and I have an older def tech center. plenty of power. I think the newer audyssey is very helpful. knock on wood, absolutely no problems with compatibility with video or any sources yet x a/v sync issue that I traced to fire sticks (apparently a known issue that can be resolved in the settings of the fire stick).

Top Bottom