• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question regarding AVRs built in room correction and using a 3rd party

thr1ll

So I've never owned a full blown receiver before, but I want to get into it. I've read over many posts how Denons are basically to go-to receiver to get under $1500, but also to stay away from anything that doesn't have Audyssey XT32. I have some experience with EqualizerAPO for my desktop uses, and saw there's option like REW and Dirac on a PC to hook up with a UMIK-1 mic to get measurements. My question is would the built in room correction in a receiver matter if you plan to use REW or Dirac on a PC and manually enter the EQ settings? Or do I just have the wrong understanding of how this all works lol.

Thanks!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is your use case? Music or surround sound television viewing? Use the AVR and it's room correction for television viewing and use your PC for music. The AVR will need to do all the work for things like Dolby Atmos decoding and multichannel audio and applying the audyssey correction across your array of speakers.

I think combining both will be more trouble for you than it's worth.

OP
T

thr1ll

What is your use case? Music or surround sound television viewing? Use the AVR and it's room correction for television viewing and use your PC for music. The AVR will need to do all the work for things like Dolby Atmos decoding and multichannel audio and applying the audyssey correction across your array of speakers.

I think combining both will be more trouble for you than it's worth.
Use case is a modest 3.1 setup(potentially 5.1 absolute max) in a small bedroom. Not caring about Atmos. Movies are 90% played from streaming services from the Roku OS on the TV or a fire stick. My main reason for asking is if I need to get an AVR with XT32 if I want to use REW or Dirac from a PC to get measurements to potentially manually input into the AVR(if it even works that way)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The PC will only eq your music since video is coming from a separate source. You want room correction and eq for your speakers on all the time regardless of source. For that to work you want something like an AVR or mini DSP shd to process all signals.

Since you are not concerned with surround sound decoding and are happy with stereo decoding check out the miniDSP shd.

Also adding my default answer for the 2.1 setups NAD M33. It's expensive but it has everything we all want in one box.

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
So I've never owned a full blown receiver before, but I want to get into it. I've read over many posts how Denons are basically to go-to receiver to get under $1500, but also to stay away from anything that doesn't have Audyssey XT32. I have some experience with EqualizerAPO for my desktop uses, and saw there's option like REW and Dirac on a PC to hook up with a UMIK-1 mic to get measurements. My question is would the built in room correction in a receiver matter if you plan to use REW or Dirac on a PC and manually enter the EQ settings? Or do I just have the wrong understanding of how this all works lol.

Thanks!
With the newish Audyssey EQ App you can use Rew to measure post calibration results and make adjustments using the Audyssey App.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audyssey-multeq-editor-app/id1210584625

With the App you can load and program different settings to maximize your system for Music and Movies separately and load the preset eq anytime you want. You can have all sorts of EQ preset files to accommodate your preferences for differing content. It’s pretty easy to use and is an incredibly valuable tool that is remarkably overlooked.

OP
T

thr1ll

With the newish Audyssey EQ App you can use Rew to measure post calibration results and make adjustments using the Audyssey App.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audyssey-multeq-editor-app/id1210584625

With the App you can load and program different settings to maximize your system for Music and Movies separately and load the preset eq anytime you want. You can have all sorts of EQ preset files to accommodate your preferences for differing content. It’s pretty easy to use and is an incredibly valuable tool that is remarkably overlooked.
Would it matter if I got an AVR with Audyssey XT vs XT32?

AdamG

Forum Donor

AdamG

Forum Donor
Here is the Android version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.AudysseyMultEq&hl=en&gl=US

List of Compatible models: (Product availability varies depending on regions.)
Denon AV Receiver: AVR-X6300H, AVR-X4300H, AVR-X3300W, AVR-X2300W, AVR-X1300W, AVR-S920W, AVR-S720W, AVR-S930H, AVR-S730H, AVR-X1400H, AVR-X2400H, AVR-X3400H, AVR-X4400H, AVR-X6400H, AVR-X8500H, AVR-S740H, AVR-S940H, AVR-X1500H, AVR-X2500H, AVR-X3500H, AVR-X4500H, AVR-X6500H, AVR-X1600H, AVR-X2600H, AVR-X3600H, AVR-S750H, AVR-S950H, AVR-A110, AVR-X6700H, AVR-X4700H, AVR-X3700H, AVR-X2700H, AVR-S960H, AVR-X8500HA
Marantz AV Receiver: AV7703, SR7011, SR6011, SR5011, NR1607, NR1608, SR5012, SR6012, SR7012, SR8012, AV7704, AV8805, NR1609, SR5013, SR6013, SR7013, AV7705, NR1710, SR5014, S6014, SR8015, SR7015, SR6015, SR5015, NR1711, AV7706, AV8805A
Not compatible with Denon and Marantz models other than those listed above.

AdamG

Forum Donor

GalZohar

Actually, 2000 series (x2700h etc) have XT and support the app. Supposedly XT32 is better (much better on paper) but I'm still not sure if I should have gotten it or not. Getting nice results with my x2700h but can't really know how much better they could be, except that I can tell that the XT eq is not doing all that much except some rather basic sub eq...
I used the app to disable EQ above 600Hz as at high frequencies it seemed to be doing more harm than good.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, 2000 series (x2700h etc) have XT and support the app. Supposedly XT32 is better (much better on paper) but I'm still not sure if I should have gotten it or not. Getting nice results with my x2700h but can't really know how much better they could be, except that I can tell that the XT eq is not doing all that much except some rather basic sub eq...
I used the app to disable EQ above 600Hz as at high frequencies it seemed to be doing more harm than good.
XT32 is Amir approved. :)
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/

AdamG

Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes I've seen it but my point was whether XT is "good enough" in terms of fixing the worst and most audible problems, even though it obviously fixes a lot less than XT32.
That can only be answered in the context of what your problems are and what is "good enough." So, no simple answer.

OP
T

thr1ll

I see the app supports AVR-S750H so that's a nice budget receiver I was eyeing

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I've seen it but my point was whether XT is "good enough" in terms of fixing the worst and most audible problems, even though it obviously fixes a lot less than XT32.
Let's just say for argument sake "no" It's not good enough.
Can you help us understand how it affects your decision making? Do you have a budget you are trying to stay within? Is there a reason you are trying to stick with Just XT and not use Dirac or XT32, the two proven products recommended on this site?

The reason I am pushing on this a bit is because room correction and equalization is pretty much the second most beneficial improvement you can make to your hifi system after getting great speakers that you will definitely hear. So it's worth it to spend the money for good room correction software and implementation ahead of other stuff like DACs and amps.

OP
T

thr1ll

Let's just say for argument sake "no" It's not good enough.
Can you help us understand how it affects your decision making? Do you have a budget you are trying to stay within? Is there a reason you are trying to stick with Just XT and not use Dirac or XT32, the two proven products recommended on this site?

The reason I am pushing on this a bit is because room correction and equalization is pretty much the second most beneficial improvement you can make to your hifi system after getting great speakers that you will definitely hear. So it's worth it to spend the money for good room correction software and implementation ahead of other stuff like DACs and amps.

As the OP of this thread I’ve posted my use case of 3.1 and “maybe” 5.1 and I use Chane A1.5 and a Chane A2.4 for my center so I’m pretty budget oriented. My “maybe” rear speakers would be repurposed Wavecrest HVL-1s when I decide to replace those in another room. At this point in time I’ll never be able to justify spending over my hard budget of $1500 on an AVR for personal reasons. My decision making would be are the levels of Audyssey objectively double the performance of the previous given they are about double the price of each previous tier.

I would buy AVR with Dirac or Anthem. I purchased mrx 520 due to its room correction.
it’s why I’m eyeing that Onkyo that came out recent with Dirac

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As the OP of this thread I’ve posted my use case of 3.1 and “maybe” 5.1 and I use Chane A1.5 and a Chane A2.4 for my center so I’m pretty budget oriented. My “maybe” rear speakers would be repurposed Wavecrest HVL-1s when I decide to replace those in another room. At this point in time I’ll never be able to justify spending over my hard budget of $1500 on an AVR for personal reasons. My decision making would be are the levels of Audyssey objectively double the performance of the previous given they are about double the price of each previous tier.

it’s why I’m eyeing that Onkyo that came out recent with Dirac
Thanks. Good to know your budget.
Id get a used or refurbished model to reduce the price to get into a product with Dirac or xt32 in your budget.
The 3700 is $1500 on Amazon US and there is a refurbished 3600 for $1000 on Amazon US.

Top Bottom