• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question on wiring.

Beb

Hello,

If I take the best DAC and the best headphone amp, the result should be very good (I'm not talking about the source, that would be another topic).

My two beginner questions:
1) Shouldn't the cable connecting these two elements also be tested by Amir ?
2) Which output of the DAC and which input of the headphone amplifier should be used to obtain the best marriage?

Thank you in advance for your wise opinions.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Hello,

If I take the best DAC and the best headphone amp, the result should be very good ...

2) Which output of the DAC and which input of the headphone amplifier should be used to obtain the best marriage?

XLR balanced

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Considering the all but unbelieveable results obtained with some of the equipment combinations...

I don't think the cable being used is a bottleneck.

Last edited:
OP
B

Beb

Merci de répondre.
Ma question sur le câble est parce qu'ils sont de 40 $ à 400 $! donc je pensais que c'était une raison. Mais je vous écoute.

OP
B

Beb

Sorry, i wrote in french...
Thanks for answering.
My question about the cable is because they range from $ 40 to $ 400 ! so I thought it was a reason. But I'm listening to you.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't need to spend much on cables. Any cable of reasonable quality with decent connectors will work fine. The ones I linked to above are OK, the cable is fine, but the connectors are cheap and I had to crimp them a little to get a good mechanical connection.

It's quite difficult to find cheap short cables that are suitable for a desktop DAC/HP Amp setup where the components are close together, with a high bend radius on the cable. JDS Labs sell some nice ones, but they are 4x the price of the ones I linked to (although still quite cheap compared to the price range you mentioned!).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My question about the cable is because they range from $ 40 to $ 400 !

You can spend much more than $400... If you like.

1576857800894.png

1576857768339.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Just in case you read the post above, and have recovered from your heart attack, in the first three and a half minutes of this video you can see this company's cables in use...

Care to estimate the retail price of all those meters that you can see? There are many more hidden behind the rack.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can you pickup the white ones in a blister pack from Best Buy?

Yes!

I'm certain they will accomodate you, if you pre-order in the next fifteen minutes.

They'll even rent you a Geek to install them, if you are that useless.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just in case you read the post above, and have recovered from your heart attack, in the first three and a half minutes of this video you can see this company's cables in use...

Care to estimate the retail price of all those meters that you can see? There are many more hidden behind the rack.

The electronics in that system totaled just under $600,000. The speakers were $90,000 a pair. I am sure there were well over a quarter million dollars in cables in use.

The system sounded incredible. (It should for a million dollars.) It would be an interesting exercise to DBT cables on a system like that.

Martin

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
My question about the cable is because they range from $ 40 to $ 400 ! so I thought it was a reason. But I'm listening to you.

Once you reach a certain point of quality (at a surprisingly low price), the only reasons for added cost is pixie dust and unicorn farts.

There's lots of threads about it here on ASR. For instance here and here.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Or build your own cables if you can solder and can buy the necessary materials at advantageous prices.

Mogami/Belden/Canare bulk cables and Neutrik connectors. It doesn't get much better than that.

ajawamnet

Thing that always gets me about cables... unless you're listening to some direct to whatever recording and listening to the original, most of what you hear goes thru miles and miles of west penn 292 or belden, maybe canare or mogami depending on the studio.

Here - something like this:
1-3.jpg

1-1.jpg
3-2.jpg

And nothing - nothing at all - will sound like you standing next to a great player playing whatever. Just won't.
The only option you may have to hear that kinda sound on demand - learn how to play it yourself... and even then, sitting at the piano or being on stage with in-ears or front wedge upstage side fills - it won't be the same.

I worked with the Pgh Symphony Orchestra doing their summer gigs. Stood right in the violas as they did the triple forte of Aaron Copeland's Rodeo. Nope not like what it sounds like in the hall - actually all you hear is percussion and brass.

So the best thing is to go and hear live music when you can.

And you might also get laid... so I'd think that's a better way to spend $400...

Last edited:
OP
B

Beb

o_O:facepalm:
Many thanks ! wow it's wonderful the world of wiring ! I agree live is best for me but yes it can not to be perfect... but live is life !
Also 40 $ or less will go well. Even if I would have liked to know what unicorn farts look like ;)

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,

If I take the best DAC and the best headphone amp, the result should be very good (I'm not talking about the source, that would be another topic).

My two beginner questions:

You should first decide on a headphone based on good sound but also comfort - can you listen for two hours with these over your ears?

Then get a headphone amp that is capable of driving your headphones. Then get the best DAC. Connections I would recommend are XLR because they seem a more solid connection. The question of being balanced (both for the amp-DAC connection and headphone to amp) is something people argue about but there is certainly no harm in balanced.

Of course your DAC must also be able to accommodate your source or sources.

As others have said, providing the cable is well built you shouldn't have any problems. There's a lot of controversy over cables and most of us have fallen for the hype at one time (I have) but frankly it seems to me now that if you want to spend more money it should go on the two ends of the playback chain, namely the source or the headphones/speakers.

Top Bottom