• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question: Behringer UMC 204, Distortion on main out

Lilith

Hi,

I'm just fiddling with my UIMC204 interface to see how strong the distortion is on its outputs and how it depends on the Main Volume.
I connected one channel of the outpout (which normally goes to my monitor controller) to the left input. I set the input gain so that it it does not clip at the input.
The signal of the left input I checked with a spectrum analyzer playing a sine tome at 1 kHz. I don't know the absolute levels, but what I get is this:
V4XoeGq.png

In red you see the signal from the PC and in cyan the signal that goes from the interface output into its input. There's significant amount of distortion. I don't know if this is comparable with Amirs measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ringer-umc204-hd-audio-interface-review.9856/ but it seems worse to me.
The main volume in this case is at 100% (~5 o clock). When I dial the volume back a bit to ~2 o clock it looks better, but I'm loosing 12 dB of volume, which is not acceptable. Does anyone know if the unit is really that s h i t t y?

tABH0rY.png

OP
Lilith

Lilith

and with REW... it's between ~0.5 - 0.8 % THD (0.8% at maximum output volume). :rolleyes:
This is when the UMC 204 is connected to an active USB Hub:

TAof39m.png

And this is when the hub is not powered. > more noise, more distortion.

40SspM2.png

Last edited:

Lalaland

I am going through the exact same test as you present on my UMC204, witch lead me to your thread. Found it was a good opportunity for me to register here and not just lurk around.
I got about the same results as you present, although I have been able to improve results a bit by fiddling with levels. I'll see if I can post a few measurements later, if you are interested. There is info out there about possibly improving distortion by correct use of TRS to RCA plugs and cables, but I have not tested this yet

OP
Lilith

Lilith

I am going through the exact same test as you present on my UMC204, witch lead me to your thread. Found it was a good opportunity for me to register here and not just lurk around.
I got about the same results as you present, although I have been able to improve results a bit by fiddling with levels. I'll see if I can post a few measurements later, if you are interested. There is info out there about possibly improving distortion by correct use of TRS to RCA plugs and cables, but I have not tested this yet
I was mainly interested in the distortion of the TRS outputs. I don't hear any distortions with sine tones so I guess it musst be better than the measurement (which also includes distortion of the inputs.)

Lalaland

Hi again, sorry I was going to give you a response but whole family been having "fun" with the flu or something like it.
Anyways, I believe what you posted a picture of is mostly distortion on the front inputs - that is to say, the input preamps.
Here are TRS insert measurment that bypass those preamps.

Not perfect, but I don't think output is too bad. Measured at main all the way up (only 717mVrms)
Behringer Umc204HD Distortion.jpg

Top Bottom