• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about volume control

Milesian

I’m new to these forums so forgive me if this is an oft repeated topic. I’m having trouble wrapping my head around volume control both hardware and software on DACs. I just picked up a Topping D50S which is decoding from an ultrarendu, direct into a Schiit Aegir amplifier. I use both ROON, and Linn Kazoo which have volume control options. My presumption is, that with the D50S, the remote is interfacing directly with the ESS9038 volume and thus bit perfect. But what is happening with the volume controls on ROON and Linn Kazoo? I’ve asked Linn and broached the question on a couple of forums, but no one seems to know. And this leads me to ask which is the best way to set the volume for this particular setup. Should the ROON and Linn applications be set to 100 percent, and the D50S remote be the final control? Or some other combination be used.

addendum: just checked audiophile style forum and found a good partially clarifying response on how Linn passes volume requests to the Ultrarendu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom