• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about "stereo jack"

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I need to replace one of the cables (will replace the two, actually) between my phono pre-amp (2 x XLR out) and my Scarlett Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen (2 x TLR in).

I want to go for cheap but good cables and found these:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cfm_15_fv_klinke_xlr_kabel.htm

What puzzles me is the two rings of the jack end. It is stereo, right? What's the point? The other end is XLR so mono.

I cannot find the same kind of cables but with only one ring (mono).

Help!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What puzzles me is the two rings of the jack end. It is stereo, right? What's the point? The other end is XLR so mono.

Unless I am mistaken. the three contact areas on the TRS correspond to the 3 pins in a standard XLR.

One channel, but differential signal and ground.

1589194651443.png

Last edited:

Bob-23

Both are stereo - two channels, one ground/common (referring to the first ones), btw, cordial, generally good quality

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A 1/4" headphone plug is TRS, but unbalanced stereo. Left and Right signals instead of a single differenctial channel.

If there is some gear that expects an unbalanced stereo signal on an XLR jack, it could work as "stereo".

I would just ignore their (presumed) mislabelling in the advertisement.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
But why oh why do they advertise it as jack "stereo"?

Same reason a guitar slide could be mistaken for a gudgeon pin(?)

Choose your application, take your pick!

1589197192471.png
1589197279325.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor

A TRS plug is also called a stereo jack where the TS plug is also called mono jack.
The cable is designed to be a mono balanced cable.
The cable is not a stereo cable as XLR inputs usually are not stereo.
You could wire an input to be stereo, and perhaps some XLR's can be used that way.

So while the PLUG is stereo the cable is NOT stereo unless you have a non standard XLR input.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
While an XLR connector is always part of a balanced single channel (mono) interconnect system.
a TRS connector (1/4 inch or smaller) may be part of a balanced single channel (mono) interconnect system or part of an unbalanced stereo interconnect system.
If there are TRS connectors at both ends the interconnect system may be single channel or stereo.
The XLR connector is the clue. (it takes two cables for stereo)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a pity the 'stereo' jack ever got used for balanced signals when there's a perfectly good jack designed expressedly for balanced signals and which has been around for possibly 100 years.
B gauge.jpg

The B gauge jack is on the left above, compared with the A gauge (normal stereo) jack on the right. Sadly, the B Gauge has never been taken up by consumer equipment and has almost completely disappeared even from professional equipment except for some large installations.

If you have a cable with a B Gauge jack on it, you can pretty much be certain the cable is balanced. With a 'stereo' jack on it, it could be balanced, or it could be stereo.

S.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't.
They say 'balanced male Jack'.

And, indeed, the same Jack is also commonly used for unbalanced stereo application. Typically tioconnect headphones to an amp.

Incidentally, they are also commonly used for 'inserts' on small mixers. One 'channel' is then used for 'send' and the other one for 'return', with a Y cable where both legs end with a TS (or 'mono') Jack...

Last edited:
Top Bottom