• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about running bass (pair of subs crossed over below 80 Hz) stereo or mono in Tri-Amped system:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The system sources are two TT's (Dual 1229 wt SHURE V15 V cart; TECHNICS SL-M3 wt SHURE V15 V-P OR SHURE 300 carts (all with NOS styli [can put new JICO styli on, also]); as well as a better quality KENWOOD cassette deck & an AKAI RTR.
I have now added a slightly modified oppo 205 (will play any DVD region) as an additional source [with some future digital sources planned].
The Pre-Amps are a pair of differently modded APT/HOLMAN's running a 'triplet' set of resto-modded NAD 2200's to a pair of DAHLQUIST M-905's (updated xovers, about 6 Ohms actual [one NAD 2200 bridged mono to each]) & a pair of 12' modded dual 4 ohm voice coiled subs (operating as 8 ohms each) for NAD 2200 #3. LP records generally blend the bass into mono somewhere at or below 140 Hz. Because I am starting to add some digital to the system now (with a possibility that some source material will have stereo bass down to 18, 15, 10 Hz, don't know?), should I run the subs as a stereo pair or mono like I have in the past? Should I switch to one NAD 2200 running the pair of 905's as a stereo unit & run one NAD 2200 bridged mono on each sub? Or some other configuration? (one that does not include adding a 4th amp at this time). Thank You for Your Consideration.

OP
E

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have decided, based on information from a former recording engineer that I know: to run A bridged mono NAD 2200 for the Left main speaker and A bridged Mono NAD 2200 for the right main speaker (Dahlquist M-905's [nominally 6 ohms] ) and A stereo NAD 2200 for the pair of 4 OHM subs (which are only fed below 80 Hz). When fed a 20 Hz (+-5 Hz) test signal I can hear the subs. So, I think that I am good with this question.

Top Bottom