• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about phasing and balanced cables

Marasmic

Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to build my first DIY audio system and I'm trying to use my existing audio interface as the DAC. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and it has 2 sets of balanced 3.5mm outputs on the back. I was going to connect 2 cables like this one to the right and left balanced monitor out on the scarlet. Then I was going to connect the red cables from the left and right channels to my amp and the white cables from the left and right channels to my sub.

So kind of confusing, but would this cause issues with the speakers being out of phase with the sub and if so is there a better way to do this?

Also probably doesn't matter, but I was looking at using the Aiyima A07.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to build my first DIY audio system and I'm trying to use my existing audio interface as the DAC. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and it has 2 sets of balanced 3.5mm outputs on the back. I was going to connect 2 cables like this one to the right and left balanced monitor out on the scarlet. Then I was going to connect the red cables from the left and right channels to my amp and the white cables from the left and right channels to my sub.

So kind of confusing, but would this cause issues with the speakers being out of phase with the sub and if so is there a better way to do this?

Also probably doesn't matter, but I was looking at using the Aiyima A07.
No, that would not work. The Focusrite has balanced line level outputs.

This would work regardless of your setup: 1/4 inch TS Male to Dual RCA Female
You would need 2 additional pairs of rca cables, each end having male connectors.
One splitter cable would be inserted into each of the 6.3mm outputs on the back of your Scarlett and then to the left and right inputs of both your amp and sub.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I was going to connect 2 cables like this one to the right and left balanced monitor out on the scarlet.
That cable is for a stereo TRS connection (like a headphone), NOT a (mono) balanced connection.

You can use TS Adapters to go to unbalanced inputs. And, I'm pretty sure they are 1/4-inch, not 3.5mm (1/8-inch).

OP
Marasmic

Marasmic

No, that would not work. The Focusrite has balanced line level outputs.

This would work regardless of your setup: 1/4 inch TS Male to Dual RCA Female
You would need 2 additional pairs of rca cables, each end having male connectors.
One splitter cable would be inserted into each of the 6.3mm outputs on the back of your Scarlett and then to the left and right inputs of both your amp and sub.
Oh... That makes a lot more sense. I was just massively over-complicating this whole thing. So doing that shouldn't cause any issues with impedance or anything right?

Thanks for the help btw. I asked like 3 subs on reddit and they just told me that it wouldn't work and to buy other equipment.

Top Bottom