• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about PCM filter mode setting of Topping DX3 Pro LDAC

TLSX

Hello friends, I bought the Topping DX3 PRO LDAC. I have a question to ask. What do the various modes of the PCM filter set mean? What are the tone characteristics?
捕获2.JPG

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If it were mine I would leave it on F-3 (default for a reason) alternatively F1 or F-6 (should sound the same)

When you find the treble too 'sharp' use F4.
18kHz-3dB should be audible.

OP
TLSX

TLSX

If it were mine I would leave it on F-3 (default for a reason) alternatively F1 or F-6 (should sound the same)

When you find the treble too 'sharp' use F4.
18kHz-3dB should be audible.
I have carefully compared why the DX3 PRO lacks more bass than the iphone and ipad. Have you found out? And other DACs seem to be the same.

JIW

The slow filters roll off earlier but have worse rejection of images while having a lower latency.

The 'Short Delay' filters F-3 and F-4 are minimum phase and have lower latency but non-flat phase response, while F-1 and F-2 are linear phase and have as the name suggest flat phase response but higher latency.

F-6 is a neither minimum nor linear phase but a compromise. It has less non-flat phase response but higher latency than F-3/4 but still non-flat phase response but lower latency than F-1/2 while being almost as extended as the sharp filters but with worse rejection of images but better than the slow filters.

F-5 has linear phase, the lowest latency but also almost no rejection of images and rolls off the earliest.

Apart from F-6, the filters' performance can be seen here:
Filters%2B1%2B%2526%2B2.png

Filters%2B3%252C%2B4%2B%2526%2B5.png

Source: https://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/09/measurements-rme-adi-2-pro-fs-as-dac.html

Anyways, the most correct, i.e. according to the underlying math (flat frequency and phase response and infinite attenuation after half the sample frequency (brickwall)), is F-1.

Also, AKM has made this interesting chart...
index.php

Source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-adi-2-dac-and-headphone-amp.7546/post-176206

OP
TLSX

TLSX

The slow filters roll off earlier but have worse rejection of images while having a lower latency.

The 'Short Delay' filters F-3 and F-4 are minimum phase and have lower latency but non-flat phase response, while F-1 and F-2 are linear phase and have as the name suggest flat phase response but higher latency.

F-6 is a neither minimum nor linear phase but a compromise. It has less non-flat phase response but higher latency than F-3/4 but still non-flat phase response but lower latency than F-1/2 while being almost as extended as the sharp filters but with worse rejection of images but better than the slow filters.

F-5 has linear phase, the lowest latency but also almost no rejection of images and rolls off the earliest.

Apart from F-6, the filters' performance can be seen here:
Filters%2B1%2B%2526%2B2.png

Filters%2B3%252C%2B4%2B%2526%2B5.png

Source: https://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/09/measurements-rme-adi-2-pro-fs-as-dac.html

Anyways, the most correct, i.e. according to the underlying math (flat frequency and phase response and infinite attenuation after half the sample frequency (brickwall)), is F-1.

Also, AKM has made this interesting chart...
index.php

Source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-adi-2-dac-and-headphone-amp.7546/post-176206
Thank you for your reply! I still have a question:Why do I feel that the DX3's bass is obviously lacking? Whether using iphone,ipad or PC

jani80k

Thank you for your reply! I still have a question:Why do I feel that the DX3's bass is obviously lacking? Whether using iphone,ipad or PC
I have the same problem
My TIN T2s bass is ok on my laptops audio out but on the DX3 is non-existent.
Yes, the DX3 sounds clearer and more detailled, but the bass is gone.
MY SMSL M500 also provides way more bass to the TIN T2s.

xxsoulxx

Same problem here just got my DX3 Pro, its a high resolution sound, but bass is lacking, just doesnt sound right and good. I send it back.

jani80k

Same problem here just got my DX3 Pro, its a high resolution sound, but bass is lacking, just doesnt sound right and good. I send it back.
Which headphones? Do you know their impedance?

jani80k

Fostex TH900 32 ohms.. even on those
I mean.. there was clearly less bass compared to the SMSL M500 on my 150 Ohms Sennheiser 58X.
This device has just been butchered with that V2 "improvement". It's really a pity. There aren't that many all-in-one units at this price point with that kind of quality (referring to V1).

The rule someone posted was that you need 8 times the output impedance to match your headphones impedance minimum.
So according to that rule, if the V2 has 10 ohms out output impedance that would mean that your headphones have to have at least 80 ohms to not be affected. I am wondering why my 150 ohms headphones are audibly affected then? Something is weird about this device...

Last edited:

Strato007

In my setup, F6 is the most audible and nice filter.

e30 and Audioengine a5+

Top Bottom