• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about mono vs. stereo Hypex NCore based power amps

SimonMW

Hi,

I am a new kid in town, and to start with a bit of expectation management: I do not have any particular knowledge about HiFi audio systems, music streaming or any other topic that is commonly discussed here. Rest assured however, that it is not my habit to opine on matters I know nothing about - I am basically here to learn and to occasionally ask a question.

If you allow me, let me start with my first one. I am currently looking for a power amp that is based on Hypex Ncore modules, and which should be part of the following setup:

Question about (mono-bloc) power amp(s).png

While searching for options, I came across the following three solutions:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-mono-class-d-ncore-1x250w-4-ohm-p-14445.html

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14185.html

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-13545.html

The first link refers to an Audiophonics mono power amplifier, featuring a single Hypex Ncore NC250MP module with integrated 'SMPS Power Supply'. If I understand correctly, one would need two of these to build a stereo system. The second link also refers to an Audiophonics solution, but in this case the power amplifier features a stereo Hypex Ncore NC252MP module, also with an integrated SMPS power supply. The third link - again- refers to an Audiophonics product, but in this case the stereo power amplifier is based on two mono Hypex Ncore NC250MP modules that each have their own SMPS power supply.

I remember having read somewhere, and sometime ago, that the manufacturer of these NCore modules, Hypex Electronics, for whatever reason recommends their NCore amplifier modules be built in separately in 'mono-bloc' solutions, rather than combining two of them in a single casing. Like said in my introduction, I am far from being an expert in matters like these, and know even less about electronics. Hence my question; were you to chose between the three solutions mentioned above, what would your choice be, and why would you favour one of these options over the others?

Any suggestions and clarifications will be warmly welcomed :)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The 2 at the end of the 252 indicates its a stereo model, the 250's are mono. MP means that the power supply is included in the model. In the end you can probably measure the difference, but you won't hear it.

swampbrain

Another newb kid here. Based on what I've read here I can't imagine there's going to be any audible difference between the hypex NCore modules except possibly sound change introduced by other components (buffer boards?).

I took a simple (and I think intelligent) approach and went with a 2 channel 502 module Amp vs 252 because, well , all other things being equal I assume more power is better. Can't ever hurt to have power in reserve and price differences between the 2 wasn't that much.

Best of luck with your research and eventual purchase!

OP
SimonMW

SimonMW

@ Koeitje; @ swampbrain: thanks very much for your replies. The NC250MP and NC252MP amplifier modules may or may not differ in terms of buffer boards or other components, I wouldn't know. If so, I figure one would only be able to find out to what extent these differences play out in terms of e.g. sound colouring, by comparing them side by side in some sort of DIY setup with all other parameters being equal. Not only is this beyond my abilities (with which I am also referring to my ears that are 60 years old ;)), but as both of you state it is not very likely that there are any audible differences between these two modules anyway, I guess what remains as distinguishing factors between the three Audiophonics options is which one has the most effective passive cooling (mono-block NC250MP?) and whether I wouldn't mind two separate casings or rather go for a single box. The 400 or 500 W NCore modules seem to be a bit of overkill for my purposes (unless I change my mind and develop the urge to blow the roof off the house - and that of the neighbours), so right now I tend to opt for NC250MP based mono-blocs. However, before finalising my purchase I'll do a bit of further research, such to find out whether there are other details I should take in consideration.

tw99

History has shown that the Hypex data sheets are pretty accurate, so you can just look at those to see what the differences are. I really doubt there's any audible difference between the 125/250/500 stereo or mono versions.

swampbrain

How did u narrow your search down to the the audiophonics amps? Do you live in Europe? Just curious as to whether you'd looked at stateside options for hypex amps. I got my 2 channel (500) and space in the enclosure plus pre-wired connections for a 2nd module (pretty much plug and play in case I want to add more channels in the future) for, I think,, about what you're expecting to pay for the audiophonics. $700 and some change.

Ps.... Another old timer here. 61

OP
SimonMW

SimonMW

@DS23MAN; @tw99: thank you very much for your input, it is good to know that NCore MP power amps do not differ in terms of input buffers, and that the Hypex data sheets provide reliable data - which is a variable less to reckon with :)

@swampbrain: I do indeed live in Europe, in the north of The Netherlands to be precise, and incidentally only some 50 km from where Hypex is based. Buying from within the EU is therefore the logical thing to do, especially when thinking of the possibility that equipment may break down one day - sending electronics out of the EU for repair, and probably having to pay taxes and import fees again for something you already own, isn't an idea that I particularly fancy. All this, however, is not to say that that there won't be some very good and competitive offerings around in other places in the world, like in Asia, Australia or the USA. What I am not able to judge though, is to which extent those various implementations of the same NCore MP amplifier modules may or may not differ in sound quality. With other words, would it be possible that the same Hypex NCore MP module built in in a power amplifier by one manufacturer leads to a better result than when applied by another manufacturer? I am asking, since before more or less leaning towards buying from Audiophonics, I also checked offerings by IOM (e.g. https://internetofmusic.nl/product/iom-ncore-mono-nc250mp), and by Nord (https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk). Although the former guys must be able to get their NCore modules by bicycle, as they're located only a couple of kilometres from Hypex, they are pretty expensive as well. The latter manufacturer, Nord, only offers power amps which feature NC252MP modules, and no mono-block or mono dual power amplifiers based on the NC250MP. Besides, although they absolutely seem to be knowing what they are doing, they're based in the UK. A couple of years before, I wouldn't have dared to mention this as a constraint, but given the absolute mess Brexit is going to result in - come a last-minute deal between the UK and the EU or not- buying anything else than books from Albion is not an option anymore. But whether these offerings differ in terms of sound quality, no idea, which makes deciding upon things difficult.

OP
SimonMW

SimonMW

Hi Vaskis,

With apologies for being late to reply, the following. After some further digging around, last December I finally decided to order two monobloc M250NC NCore 1x250W amplifiers from Audiophonics in France (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-mono-class-d-ncore-1x250w-4-ohm-p-14445.html). The way I interpreted the replies to my original question was that a noticeable difference in sound quality with the other two options offered by Audiophonics (a stereo Hypex Ncore NC252MP based amplifier versus a solution featuring two mono Hypex Ncore NC250MP modules in a single casing with each their own power supply) wasn't very likely, and so the assumption I was finally led by was that a monobloc solution probably has a slightly more effective passive cooling. Delivery by Audiophonics was speedy (I was lucky since the model I finally went for had been on backorder for a couple of months, but right when I decided to finalise my order it was back in stock again), and the two amplifiers were very thoroughly packed and hence well-protected against damage during transit. The casing that the mono NCore module and the power supply is built into is very sturdy, albeit a bit large, and even after having played music for a couple of hours, the casing only gets warm to a very limited extent - which must be thanks to the energy efficiency of the NCore modules. Given the fact that my current setup incorporates a pair of twenty+ years old B&W series 600i shelf speakers, there is little doubt that I am currently not enjoying my new NCore amplifiers to their full potential. Even so, the music I play (mostly classical) sounds much more vivid and well-defined than it used to do when I still relied on a Marantz tuner-integrated amplifier. So, the next step is getting myself a pair of speakers that are able to do justice to the qualities of these NCore amplifiers, and to this end I am sort of considering a pair of dipole loudspeakers as built by the Dutch firm Daudio (http://daudio.nl/en/products/). However, the Corona virus has all of us kind of locked up in The Netherlands, and before shelling out money for speakers like these, I first would like to be able to listen to them in combination with my gear in a listening room. So, this journey is to be continued.

Anyways, I hope this helps!

Top Bottom