• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about "fixing" a potentially non-ideal d'appolito arrangement

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lay the speaker horizontally and put it on something to raise the tweeter at half of the room height and do the measurements again ("horizontal" off-axis would turn to be vertical). What is the microphone to speaker distance? It should be at lest 1 meter, preferably 2 meters.
Every non-coaxial loudspeaker have issues with vertical off-axis frequency response.
(Edited.)

Last edited:
OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
The tweeter was already at center point in my room due to my low ceiling. For the rest have a look at the measurements I attached.

But here's a new twist to the story, which made me think I'm stupid.
Since the BMR have asymmetrical mounting plates I could just turn the BMR 90° and move them closer to the tweeter. This reduced their distance from each other from 24cm to 21,5cm which is a great improvement for free. The theoretical crossover frequency just got risen from 1450hz to almost 1600 hz, which reduces the gap until 2000hz (tweeter crossover) hz by a nice margin. The only drawback that I may have altered the baffle correction but at least THIS is fixable by EQ. Dispersion is not.

Vladimir Filevski

Low ceiling is the most limiting factor in quasi-anechoic loudspeaker measuring in-room. Laying speaker horizontally for measuring will bring both BMR drivers at the half height of the room, improving quality of off-axis measurements.
Turning 90 degrees of both BMRs is interesting idea worth of trying - it may (or may not) bring better off-axis response at BMR-tweeter crossover frequency, but monitor what happens with off-axis response at low-mid driver - BMR crossover frequency.

Top Bottom