• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about facial recognition and privacy in a post COVID-19 world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

Forum Donor
Has anyone found any interesting articles on how the pandemic has affected public gatherings in countries where it is illegal to hide your face at demonstrations and similar public events? Does anyone of you work in law enforcement or research in the fields of ethics or facial recognition technology etc, and would like to share your thoughts?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
For the very first time a few days ago, our state had an edict to wear masks in public for 2 weeks and it was a shock to me. I didn't even have a mask- we'd never needed one here. I figured it would be great opportunity to commit a crime if you wanted to be anonymous. A mask and a cap and you'd be unidentifiable. ;)

As far as facial recognition goes, if they try that chit here, I'll be wearing a Trump/Madonna/Meghan/Harry whatever mask to mess up their AI bigtime.

Lambda

Major Contributor

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to ai, they succeeded making face recognitions with your mask on.

Tks

Major Contributor
Has anyone found any interesting articles on how the pandemic has affected public gatherings in countries where it is illegal to hide your face at demonstrations and similar public events?

What countries are this lol? Sounds silly someone would want to then demonstrate, but have to follow some sort of rules like revealing who they are for cameras or something..

OP
S

Seraph

Forum Donor
What countries are this lol? Sounds silly someone would want to then demonstrate, but have to follow some sort of rules like revealing who they are for cameras or something..
Several countries have laws that bans covering your face in public, including some states in the USA.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Several countries have laws that bans covering your face in public, including some states in the USA.

I don't know your purpose behind this thread and really not sure that you interpret well the law.
It's not the same thing to demonstrate with a surgical mask vs. to demonstrate with a full face motorcycle helmet.

OP
S

Seraph

Forum Donor

I don't know your purpose behind this thread and really not sure that you interpret well the law.
It's not the same thing to demonstrate with a surgical mask vs. to demonstrate with a full face motorcycle helmet.
That is what I'm asking. In France, can you participate in a political demonstration wearing a surgical mask, when before the pandemic it would probably gotten you arrested? In Sweden, can you wear surgical mask at public demonstrations where public order is or may be disturbed, when it before the pandemic would have been illegal? Etc.
Does public health take precedence over existing legislation currently?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In France, can you participate in a political demonstration wearing a surgical mask, when before the pandemic it would probably gotten you arrested.
It is totally as you say.

Today: no mask = fine.
Before: mask = possible fine.

When I put on my black mask just before entering a shop, I feel like I'm a cash robber.

OP
S

Seraph

Forum Donor
It is totally as you say.

Today: no mask = fine.
Before: mask = possible fine.

When I put on my black mask just before entering a shop, I feel like I'm a cash robber.
Thanks for your reply. The two countries I currently live in doesn't have any legal restrictions on covering your face, that's why I'm asking.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

the US for one - many states have laws dating from KKK activity on this

Tks

Major Contributor

the US for one - many states have laws dating from KKK activity on this

Seems to be iffy and not really enforced in any modern application as far as I know. You see folks constantly wearing full face masks even before C-19 during the winter.

That is what I'm asking. In France, can you participate in a political demonstration wearing a surgical mask, when before the pandemic it would probably gotten you arrested? In Sweden, can you wear surgical mask at public demonstrations where public order is or may be disturbed, when it before the pandemic would have been illegal? Etc.
Does public health take precedence over existing legislation currently?

Of course it does, as any judge ruling on these sorts of ordeals now that the empirics over public safety make the enforcement of public mask wearing largely make the judge seem absurd if they were to rule against mask wearing.

Also you have issues on what actually constitutes a mask. Even if this got to be enforced for some insane reason, I imagine masks would be manufactured in dimensions where there would be question begging against Sorites Paradox.

In reality, most laws' enforement tendencies shift heavily with context (fulfilling the true purpose of a courtroom in my view, otherwise we wouldn't need courts, and simply have AI make binary decisions like ("Wore Mask for any reason?" "Jail Sentence" -- NEXT).

When C-19 fades though, France will most certainly get back to it's famous idiotic ruling. Especially since it has backing within the European Commissio on Human Rights. If your ruling has backing from them, and you're a part of the EU -- you could basically rest easy re-instituting gas chambers as execution methods if you so pleased.

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
'If your ruling has backing from them, and you're a part of the EU -- you could basically rest easy re-instituting gas chambers as execution methods if you so pleased.' Really?

OP
S

Seraph

Forum Donor
Especially since it has backing within the European Commissio on Human Rights. If your ruling has backing from them, and you're a part of the EU -- you could basically rest easy re-instituting gas chambers as execution methods if you so pleased.
Well, no. But seeing that in writing, just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom