• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about dolby atmos

From what I understand to have the proper dolby atmos experience you need a couple of overhead speakers.

However I see it touted as a feature even in soundbars which is confusing to me.

I'm looking at putting together a 5.1 setup and thinking I should probably prioritize budget on the 5 speakers and get a cheaper receiver that may not have dolby atmos.

Is there really any difference between something like dolby true hd and dolby atmos tracks for a plain old 5.1 setup?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Actually yes. 5.1.2 and 7.2.2 have Atmos functionality. So if the receiver has Atmos your all set. Then you have to get those two ceiling speakers installed or get the up firing Atmos speakers that sit on top of your Left/Right speakers. The thing is 5.1 or 5.2 is very easy to set up. 5.1.2 is more difficult. But, hopefully the onboard Dirac, Audessey or YPAO will do a good job. I have the Yamaha YPAO and even though it is not considered the "best" it does a pretty good job. I'd even say a great job for the cost. The sound bars have upward firing drivers in the bar that are an attempt to get you some Atmos effect. That will all depend on your room. 5.1 surround without Atmos as I have sounds very good for movies and music depending on which DSP you use. Good Luck! What receiver are you looking at?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To have a true 3D audio effect you need overhead speakers, but you don't overhead speakers to enjoy Atmos.

Atmos is a multi-speaker format that can get rendered differently depending on the setup you have. You can enjoy Atmos even with one speaker. 4 speakers or 16. All these experience would be a valid rendering of the atmos track.

It's smart of you to prioritize your speakers right now. As Atmos is perfectly backward compatible with 5.1 and 7.1 systems (Dolby digital plus .etc)

Johnp

I'm looking at putting together a 5.1 setup and thinking I should probably prioritize budget on the 5 speakers and get a cheaper receiver that may not
Is there really any difference between something like dolby true hd and dolby atmos tracks for a plain old 5.1 setup?
No, there is not.

Jazz

I just have small Atmos speakers on a high shelf pointed direct at me. Works great! You have to have an Atmos AVR.
Atmos sound bars are great too. I think they fire up to get height down to you. Get one that has rears, if you can or your room can have rears. If not, it is OK to skip the rears in any config. The AVR or sound bar will adapt pretty well.

Top Bottom