• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about DIY Class D Amps (Kit and Prebuilts) and other components for 2ch system

AbidingDude

I am currently piecing together a two channel system. It'll probably have a subwoofer most likely unless I find some truly full-range floor-standers that aren't like 8 ft tall and weigh 300 lbs like the JTR Noesis 215RT-- although those would be sweet, I just am not sure they will fit in my listening space. Speakers I was considering were like the KEF R11s (I like the wide listening angle, it gives me positioning flexibility in my living room) and the Dynaudio Evoke 50s (I have a pair of DM 2/6s that I love running on a NAD 3020-- that's what I use in my garage/gym when I am wrenching or lifting weights). I am also open to suggestions here.

I already have the pre-amp-- I ended up finding what I thought was a decent deal on a used Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 (I wanted one when they came out, but didn't have the scratch back then) that had just been serviced by Emotiva. Originally I was looking at the Rotel RC-1590 MKII, since it had a built in DAC, but I got the Emotiva, because I have a Pro-Ject Audio turntable and I want to upgrade the cartridge and platter and the Emotiva has a decent phono stage with selectable MM/MC. As it stood I was probably going to end up using an external stream box or laptop anyway. I'm currently looking at the Cambridge Audio DACmagic 200m (although, feel free to suggest alternatives) because it does have BT Aptx, 32bit DAC chipset and XLR outs which I could feed to the XSP-1.

So, I thought, oh I will still get the Rotel either RB-1582 or RB-1590, until I started reading about the Hypex NC400/NC1200 and Purifi 1ET400A on here and the success ASR members have had with them. It looks like for the price of what I would've spent on the RB-1582 or less, I can get something that will be on-par or outperform the RB-1590.

I was impressed by the measurements of the 1ET400A implementations that have been posted here, but was wondering just in case I decide to go with monsters like the JTR floorstanders, would the NC1200 be a downgrade as far as sound quality/accuracy? Would I be okay going with say the basic VTV NC1200 stereo amp. I realize now I know I want to avoid the crazy buffer and just go with either the EVAL1 or "stock" Hypex buffer with the TI OPA1612s, since the Sonic Imagery and Sparkos ones don't really seem to do much except degrade the signal.

I was reading about some issues with implementation of the VTV on here last night, specifically related to how the power supplies are oriented in relation to the buffer and amplifier boards and that this could introduce noise? Also maybe they skimp on internal wiring, did I understand that correctly? Meanwhile, I saw other members recommend them because the issues can be addressed? I am in the U.S. so VTV is the most economic option for me, but I also saw this place called Deer Creek Audio offers kits.

The only reason I was avoiding a kit is that it looks like the prebuilts might offer some useful features for basically the same price: like something other than SpeakOn connectors (which I am not opposed to but I built all my own cables for my surround system using monoprice banana plugs, so I already have some wire and plugs) and 12v trigger (or even the audio signal sensing that I think it's boXem offers). I am not opposed to a kit if it's a simple matter of connecting another board and some wires to add 12v trigger and stuff, though. I've just never built an amplifier before-- I've soldered and done 12v work on car electrical systems, I've done low voltage cabling in homes and even some minor electrical work on my house (replacing breakers, outlets, adding fixtures, etc.). If someone's already broken it down "barney style" somewhere that'd be cool.

P.S. not sure if it matters, but I was looking at a SVS SB-3000 or 4000 if I got a sub, there was a REL that one of the sales people at the stereo shop was pushing me to get, but I feel like the SVS offer better performance for the same or less money. Rythmik is also an option for me, as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, speaking of speakers and PSBs. I just saw something that reminded me. I had a chance to hear a set of PSB Imagine T3 towers, if I found a set of those used, I would spring for those or the PSB Synchrony Ones. The Imagine T3s left a huge impression on me after hearing them.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
There was a lot of hifi gadgets. My guess, if you shorten it a bit. Pick out a piece you want to do. Now it's all at once.Maybe make a sketch of what you have and think about and you will more easily get help.:)

DIY Class D amp I can not help you with. For DIY, there is a separate section here at ASR. There are also more DIY dedicated forums. If you might get more help on such?

Good luck! :)

Edit:
It may be my attention span that is lousy in itself.:)

nc42acc

Sourcing the parts via Hypex, Purifi and Ghent is more expensive than buying prebuilt 1ET400A from the great builders here on ASR. I can highly recommend Apollon amps, impeccable customer service and build quality.

Synergy4

The cost difference on the Purifi amplifier for DIY & Pre-built is minimal and VTV is actually cheaper.

My Build: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-125#post-983258

Cost info: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-126#post-984352

March Audio seems like another good option for a pre-built Purifi amplifier: https://www.marchaudio.com/product-page/p452-stereo-power-amplifier

March.jpg

OP
AbidingDude

AbidingDude

I realize it's something of a faux pas to post in an old thread, but I figured it makes more sense to provide an update on my progress.

I really wanted a class D like the March Audio unit or VTV, Apollon, etc. However, I auditioned a Rotel RB-1582 MKII a while back and I liked it, and Rotel seems generally positively received here on ASR, and I was at a stereo shop and they had an RB-1080 used for <$600. I listened to it with a set of Revel Concerta2 F35s and it sounded great. So, I picked up the amp, and they had a set of those Revels used so I picked those up as well. Originally I had gone there for a pair of Dynaudios they had used, but I did an A/B on that amp and liked the Revels better. I was out the door with the amp and speakers for what I would have spent on the March. I had been eyeing a set of those PSB T3s on eBay for like 6 months, but couldn't get myself to pull the trigger (it's about twice what I spent on the rest of the system). Maybe one day.

So, right now, my system looks like this: Pro-Ject Audio Debut (the original) Carbon-- which I just refreshed with an Ortofon Bronze cartridge since my old Red was worn out, Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 Pre-amp, Rotel RB-1080 (it's the newer version with silver faceplate, dual binding posts and XLR inputs), and the Revel F35s. Oh, I also got a Furman Elite 15PFi used for a deal, I use one in my HT setup to keep my components safe and it also seems to keep humming and ground noise down too.

I realize this is ASR, and the advice I will probably get is "go digital" but, would it be worth it to upgrade my Debut Carbon with a heavier metal subplatter and acrylic platter? Is the DC motor being attached to the plinth that big of a deal? Or, should I save my money and just take my cartridge to something like the VPI Prime/Scoutmaster with a heavier plinth and decoupled motor? I found one used for like $2000. But, a new acrylic platter and subplatter I can get for like <$200. My only gripe with the Debut has honestly been the Pro-ject speed box, where I live static has traditionally been a problem and static discharge through the metal platter would seemingly cause the "speed box" to change speed settings.

I don't have a digital source, yet which is one of the reasons I am posting again. I was thinking about getting the Bluesound Node (the N130 model) and a CD transport, but it doesn't look like the Node has a TOSLINK or S/PDIF Coax input, which is a shame because it seems like it has a really nice DAC. Unless someone knows how I could get something like the Audiolab 6000CDT or the Cambridge Audio CXC to connect to it. But, I was looking for something like just a standalone DAC, but it seems like all of them function as pre-amplifiers, and all I really want is something that will convert the digital signal to analog so I can feed it through the XSP-1, unless it would be fine doing that? I just don't want to step up voltage, then feed it through the pre-amp which will step it up another minimum of 6db and then cause clipping. Am I wrong in my understanding of how that works?

Also, still looking for a subwoofer, as the Revels are great, but they don't have that full bass extension down to 20hz.

EDIT: Wrong Speakers, I meant the F35s, not F36s.

Last edited:
OP
AbidingDude

AbidingDude

I can't seem to edit my last post.

I really enjoy reading this forum. I was able to find answers to my questions. I ended up purchasing a Topping E50 from Apos Audio. I also ordered a Topping BC3 Bluetooth device that you can run through the USB or optical input of the E50 and it bypasses the onboard DAC of the BC3, which is inferior to the one in the E50. $69 device vs. a $269 device, so not really a complaint, just an observation.

Still looking for a CD transport. I think I found one, just waiting for the seller to respond.

Edit: Just Scored a Audiolab 6000CDT for less than $400.

Last edited:
Top Bottom