• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about D90 I2S input

chy001

Hello. I'm new and have a question about the Topping D90. I received the unit a couple of days ago and am trying to figure out if the HDMI output from a Sony UBP-x800m2 will be recognized by the D90 I2S input. Thus far, I have tried but failed. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or answers on this.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Hello. I'm new and have a question about the Topping D90. I received the unit a couple of days ago and am trying to figure out if the HDMI output from a Sony UBP-x800m2 will be recognized by the D90 I2S input. Thus far, I have tried but failed. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or answers on this.

I2S input in D90 uses HDMI connector but it doesn't accept HDMI signal, it accepts only I2S signal. If you want to connect those 2 devices I suggest using SPDIF coaxial, but be aware that D90 won't be able to decode multichannel audio from Sony.

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
1590600836668.png

OP
C

chy001

Thank you for the clarification. I had been hoping that the Sony ump-x800m2 ("universal player") could send out native DSD (from SACD) through its HDMI output (something that the Topping D90 could decode); I think I was being too naive or optimistic (trying to avoid spending major $$ in getting a decent SACD spinner). Oh well.

Arvind

You have to use HDMI to I2S de-embedder bridge. Many of such bridges available on Aliexpress. Just search HDMI to I2S.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Thank you for the clarification. I had been hoping that the Sony ump-x800m2 ("universal player") could send out native DSD (from SACD) through its HDMI output (something that the Topping D90 could decode); I think I was being too naive or optimistic (trying to avoid spending major $$ in getting a decent SACD spinner). Oh well.

Sony may be able to send native DSD when playing SACD through the coax output, so check the documenatation.

Top Bottom