• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about analog audio level vs digital audio level

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I'm working as a volunteer at the local radio and TV station and there was a discussion about the correct level of the audio signal on TV programms. In the end there was a discussion/misunderstanding because one person was talking analog audio levels and the other was talking digital audio levels.

I did some research on this and I find it a bit confusing. Analog audio levels are expressed in dBu or dBV and measure in dBVU. In pro-audio the +4dBu is the reference fo a line level and 0dBVU = +4dBu (correct me if I'm wrong). Digital audio signals are expressed in dBFS, so 0dBFS is the max and higher then 0 is not possible. After some research a common rule is 0dBu ~ -18dBFS.

My question is, if I set the digital audio signal to -18dBFS will then after the DAC the analog audio signal be 0dBu ? And what will the analog VU meter display (-4 dBVU?)

Side note: I know that nowadays the level of audio signals are often measured in LUFS (LKFS) but that's not what my question is about.

staticV3

Master Contributor
My question is, if I set the digital audio signal to -18dBFS will then after the DAC the analog audio signal be 0dBu ?
Depends on the DAC really.
Most consumer single-ended DACs will output about -10dBu with -18dBFS input. Consumer differential DACs will output -4dBu.
And in the pro world, anything goes afaik.
And what will the analog VU meter display (-4 dBVU?)
Again, depends on the DAC.

OP
NYfan2

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Depends on the DAC really.
Most consumer single-ended DACs will output about -10dBu with -18dBFS input. Consumer differential DACs will output -4dBu.
And in the pro world, anything goes afaik.

Again, depends on the DAC.
Thank you for your answer, I kind of expected it to be like this.

Top Bottom