• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about amplification for new Magnepan LRS speakers

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The Magnepan instruction manual (https://www.magnepan.com/manual/LRS )gives a hint as to what might be different:

"The LRS uses a unique high-current connector (See Figure 1). Strip approximately 1/4-inch of insulation from the speaker cable end and insert it into the connector and tighten the set screw with the Allen wrench provided. Special spade lug adapters are available from Magnepan...call to order.
Magnepan encourages the use of large gauge speaker wire (preferably 16 gauge or larger). "

The illustration suggests that the connectors are the same as those for the MGIIIa and are set up for thick cables with tinned ends.

It's the same connectors they've been using for decades... I have not looked to see if they use them on the entire line as they used to but I suspect so.

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's the same connectors they've been using for decades... I have not looked to see if they use them on the entire line as they used to but I suspect so.
Yes it appears identical. They had a similar line in the MMG manual... I presume because both (MMG/LRS) are their 'gateway drug' product - which is why it's available directly from them - as well as dealers. The expectation is that the majority of owners will be Maggie virgins... and might think they could get by with an AVR and the 20-gauge wire it came with. I'm sure they emphasize it more with the LRS as the MMG's at least would work OK with an AVR... but the LRS are less 'flexible' in that regard.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think I paid $500 for mine in 1985, so that's pretty reasonable. And of course, the point remains that even 35 years ago, the problem of power amplification had long been solved.

I'm going to see if I can get one loaned to me for comparison to the original.

Some of the Rotel's might be up for the job as well.

Reactions: SIY
D

Deleted member 12

With a more resolving speaker like the LRS...I would shy away from any amp that is going to sound dry or bright. That means a lot of the Class D amps and a few of the older ss amps. A good tube amp with excellent transformers will be the ticket. The key is going to be the strength and quality of the transformer. Unfortunately, the ability to acquire a great tube amp with a quality transformer is not likely to be that easy in order to match the pricing structure of the little Maggie. Wendell Diller knows this, and as such i think he expects to sell several of these planars to folks who are going to add them to a system that is already many multiples in cost of the little LRS's.
An amp I would consider with these speakers is one of the older ARC designs that utilize the new KT120's...and have some power output...typically 75 watts/ch as a minimum. BTW, this from an ex-guitar pro/teacher...glad you are still 'practicing'.

digicidal

Major Contributor
With a more resolving speaker like the LRS...I would shy away from any amp that is going to sound dry or bright. That means a lot of the Class D amps and a few of the older ss amps.

I really have know idea what a 'resolving speaker' is... but the best guess I could make is that you mean it's dynamic and detailed? Or do you mean it's linear through it's FR capacities? That description is not just highly subjective - it's not saying much at all (to me at least).

This speaker already has a great deal of difficulty generating enough energy in the low end (or as you would say it's 'brittle/bright') and you're recommending a tube amp for it? o_O That seems totally backwards to me as the majority of the possibilities that would even make sense price-wise can make true full-range speaker sound 'dry and bright'... let alone something that is already struggling in the sub 100Hz range?! I'm not saying there aren't some tube amps that might produce enjoyable sounds on them... I just don't see how adding noise and severely restricting power is going to make them sound better than giving them as much clean power as you can afford.

EDIT: If it was horn-loaded, full-range, 8-16 Ohm resistance, and ultra-high sensitivity (>96db/w/m)... now your amp recommendation makes some sense to me - at least as a secondary system. I quite enjoy an old pair of 8" Fostex horns on a single-ended bottle amp I have... but only for occasional use, and only with certain recordings.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12

I really have know idea what a 'resolving speaker' is... but the best guess I could make is that you mean it's dynamic and detailed? Or do you mean it's linear through it's FR capacities? That description is not just highly subjective - it's not saying much at all (to me at least).

This speaker already has a great deal of difficulty generating enough energy in the low end (or as you would say it's 'brittle/bright') and you're recommending a tube amp for it? o_O That seems totally backwards to me as the majority of the possibilities that would even make sense price-wise can make true full-range speaker sound 'dry and bright'... let alone something that is already struggling in the sub 100Hz range?! I'm not saying there aren't some tube amps that might produce enjoyable sounds on them... I just don't see how adding noise and severely restricting power is going to make them sound better than giving them as much clean power as you can afford.

EDIT: If it was horn-loaded, full-range, 8-16 Ohm resistance, and ultra-high sensitivity (>96db/w/m)... now your amp recommendation makes some sense to me - at least as a secondary system. I quite enjoy an old pair of 8" Fostex horns on a single-ended bottle amp I have... but only for occasional use, and only with certain recordings.

I really don't know how to answer a post like yours.....if you don't know what a resolving speaker is...I have no idea how to respond to that!
IF..if you read my post, i recommended a medium to high power tube amp --with a high quality transformer. Not a flea powered tube amp that is suitable for 8" Fostex horns...there is a world of difference, just FYI!
I'm done on this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2944

When somebody posts an impedance plot of the LRS speaker, then maybe we'd get a better idea of any amplifier-dependent issues relative to the MMG speaker. (If there are any.) Overall sensitivity will be the same in either case.
Rumor has it the tweeter is reconfigured on the LRS to be similar to the 1.7 scheme with the impedance dropping near 1 ohm in the higher frequencies. However, I've seen nothing to confirm that.

Mostly what we have at this point, is a bunch of silly marketing rhetoric from Wendell Diller (and some of the other advocates) regarding suitable amplifiers for the LRS. I'm not impressed with what I've read.....from an objective point of view.
If this speaker is any harder (or easier) to drive than its predecessor (the MMG) I would be greatly surprised.

Regardless, low output impedance, powerful SS amps are obviously preferable here......relative to tube amps. (As is the case with almost all speakers.)

Dave.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I really don't know how to answer a post like yours.....if you don't know what a resolving speaker is...I have no idea how to respond to that!
IF..if you read my post, i recommended a medium to high power tube amp --with a high quality transformer. Not a flea powered tube amp that is suitable for 8" Fostex horns...there is a world of difference, just FYI!
I'm done on this thread
We all know what a resolving speaker is, but recommending a amp the softens the fast edges and removes the extreme highs is just wrong.
Put as clean and detailed a amp as possible in front of it so the finest recordings can be heard at their best.
Then if you want to ease the pain from bad recordings, use some eq to "tone" things down.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When somebody posts an impedance plot of the LRS speaker, then maybe we'd get a better idea of any amplifier-dependent issues relative to the MMG speaker. (If there are any.) Overall sensitivity will be the same in either case.
Rumor has it the tweeter is reconfigured on the LRS to be similar to the 1.7 scheme with the impedance dropping near 1 ohm in the higher frequencies. However, I've seen nothing to confirm that.

Mostly what we have at this point, is a bunch of silly marketing rhetoric from Wendell Diller (and some of the other advocates) regarding suitable amplifiers for the LRS. I'm not impressed with what I've read.....from an objective point of view.
If this speaker is any harder (or easier) to drive than its predecessor (the MMG) I would be greatly surprised.

Regardless, low output impedance, powerful SS amps are obviously preferable here......relative to tube amps. (As is the case with almost all speakers.)

Dave.
Here is the 1.6, which generally looks like the other Maggies. Pretty easy load, doesn't drop to one ohm. Some of the larger ones get down to 3.5 ohms minimum and have less of a hump at the crossover and less phase in the curve. You need an amp that can do 4 ohms, but otherwise a pretty easy load really. That is why even tube amps if they have a 4 ohm tap wouldn't be a bad suggestion depending on your personal preferences, and the quality of the transformers. It'll loosen up the low end a very little and damped the treble by a db or so. 75 wpc would work. (Yes I've heard just this combination on Maggies with the ribbon tweeter.)
1562649422673.png

3.6 R for comparison. The 2.6 is nearly identical in the curve.
1562649582394.png

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Excuse this post if it has already been discussed before.

Supposedly the MMGs were designed so they could be used with weaker amps (e.g. receivers).

The LRS were designed to be used with better amps (e.g. not receivers).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Supposedly the MMGs were designed so they could be used with weaker amps (e.g. receivers).

Marketing I think. Both are rated for the same output at 2.83 v of 86 db. Both are two ways. Maggie impedances don't vary much. Maybe one can handle more power than the other.

D

Deleted member 2944

Yeah, that's just the marketing-speak I was referring to. There wasn't any sort of inspiration or design upgrade for this new model. I suspect this is just a manufacturing driven change to bring production in line with all the rest of their models. ie, change to a quasi-ribbon woofer vice the laid-wire type.

Dave.

digicidal

Major Contributor
They did a full review in the last issue of Stereophile, but I don't have it in front of me at the moment. From memory it looks almost identical to the .7 but I'm having trouble finding those charts - perhaps it was another model. All of the reviews linked from the product page on the Magnepan site are subjective 'listening tests' and don't have any measurements at all so they aren't helping.

To clarify re "resolving" - what I meant was what you meant by it. To me the most important issue for sound 'resolution' has more to do with impulse control and less to do with FR, but your suggestion is an amp with already limited power and FR - which would seem to exacerbate the deficiencies of this design rather than mitigate them.

Sorry to ruffle feathers, that was not my intention. If you do a search on "resolving speakers" - there are as many opinions as there are participants. So if that's not a subjective description, then which measurements directly correlate? (I'm seriously asking this - not being deliberately obtuse).

@Sal1950 - That's exactly what I was getting at. You did a much better job than I did obviously (and with fewer keystrokes).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Wonder if this is any good. Definitely tickling my nostalgia bones.

I have an old 545 II... Punches above it's weight class. I'd be interested in how good the new one is as well.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Wonder if this is any good. Definitely tickling my nostalgia bones.
Based on the reviews/specs of their previous revisions I would guess it's a capable amp, with relatively low noise, and very good customer service should a problem arise in the future. Now, as to whether it's worth the price vs. one of the newer Class-D designs of similar output... that might be a different answer.

For fun, Stereophile has a 'through the ages' review for the model going back to '85. Unfortunately it doesn't include this latest release. Regardless, the brand has definitely been around and maintained a decent reputation... which is something that can't be said for some of the 'nostalgia' brands that have released new Chinese manufactured versions of their legacy product lines.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Magnepan LRS reviewed by Herb Reichert (and measured by JA) in the August Stereophile.

It is featured on the front cover.

80dB sensitivity estimate.

I haven't read beyond that yet.

(Now I see a mention of that above. Oh well...)

Mashcky

Forum Donor
I have the most recent Stereophile in front of me, but the review is not online yet. The LRS impedance is nearly ruler straight, varying between 3 (maybe 2.8? the graph is small) and just under 4 ohms.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Marketing I think. Both are rated for the same output at 2.83 v of 86 db. Both are two ways. Maggie impedances don't vary much. Maybe one can handle more power than the other.
I have the most recent Stereophile in front of me, but the review is not online yet. The LRS impedance is nearly ruler straight, varying between 3 (maybe 2.8? the graph is small) and just under 4 ohms.
JA measured the sensitivity at 80.1, -6 below spec. ?

OPPS, Ray beat me too it. :)

D

Deleted member 2944

Magnepan rates the sensitivity of their speakers with 2 watts input vice 1 watt. :) It can get confusing.

The impedance plot sounds believable. They switched all of their speaker models to series crossovers a few years ago, and the mid range impedance humps associated with the parallel crossovers are pretty much gone.

Dave.

Top Bottom