• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about Adam Audio

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the Adam TV5 monitors. But I noticed that although they sound good, with certain frequency's, I am guessing the mids, it sound sorta boxy(or hollow box sound) to me. Might be ok for mixing(or not) but this is for listening. Does anyone here have the A7x's by Adam? Would you describe them as the same?
My old ears like the ribbon tweeter but that boxy sound gets to me. I have almost finished my room for gaming and music(waiting for bass traps).

Vini darko

Major Contributor
You could add some extra damping matiral to the inside of the box. Somthing like dymat would help reduce box coloration.

OP
Rod

Rod

Thanks, I am looking through the different speaker company's.

OP
Rod

Rod

You could add some extra damping matiral to the inside of the box. Somthing like dymat would help reduce box coloration.
Thanks, I just flipped the speakers around. The back panal looks easy enough to take off. I will look inside and see what they have in there.

OP
Rod

Rod

Well while I had the speakers turned around, I switched it to +2 on LF. That seemed to help some.

OP
Rod

Rod

Here is the room for gaming and music. Waiting for some bass traps and then I will be done. Sounds a lot better than the bare room I started with. I figured that the canvas prints in the back of the room could have small acoustic panels behind them if needed. But it seems I have enough coverage the way it is.
PXL_20200917_020444740[1].jpg
PXL_20200917_020725157.NIGHT[1].jpg

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

Under the desk is a box of P100 filters. I don't keep breakfast cereal under there. Just PPE. Like my life depended on it.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm inclined to say your issues are your room, not your speakers.

OP
Rod

Rod

I'm inclined to say your issues are your room, not your speakers.
What do you suggest? I admit I didn't use any measurements. Just were I thought would be good placement for the acoustic boards. A lot of the stuff discussed here goes over my head with no technical background besides some tube theory classes in the 70's.
RMEadi2dac>Adam Audio

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

Correct 9x9x8. With a 2 foot closet. I picked a heavy duty curtain to put across it.

OP
Rod

Rod

I would load up REW and input your room dimensions and speaker positions into room simulation. You may have a nasty null down there. From the pictures I'd be inclined to say that room height and width may be quite similiar?

Also, a UMIK-1 or something shouldn't be breaking the bank.
I noticed the box sound when the room was bare and also while it was in another room. That one was 20x20. I dont hear it with all tracks, many sound good. But for example aucustic guitar in the mid ranges I will hear it. Old tracks too.

OP
Rod

Rod

Ok I read about the mike. To know for sure I need to study up I guess. Thanks.

Tatteredmidnight

I’ve been using my A7x’s since 2016 and I’ve never had that impression of them. I don’t know how they measure, but part of me is curious, and I find them fantastic for musical reproduction. They have a surprising amount of punch in the bass, fantastic high end, and some crazy imaging compared to my less expensive speakers (Yamaha HS7’s, JBL Studio 530s, and Elac B5 Debuts). Watching TV and movies, sounds seem to come from all around me, it’s a very immersive experience that is noticeably different than the other speakers I’ve mentioned.

I just had them serviced since they were making noise after a cold start and it got very disruptive. At first I thought I would only need to send one in, in which case I would have considered sending the other to Amir, but they both went back for service in the end.

As curious as I am, I have been without them for nearly a month now, so I’m not inclined to send them back out again soon.

As an aside, ADAM support was very slow to respond (they said they were switching email systems), and the repair took close to a month, including very slow shipping, but the speakers came back fixed of the issue. The service center even did their best to straiten out one of the ribbons that had been a bit bent up from a previous move. He woofers are now dead silent when powered on, and the units have the same serial numbers as the ones I sent in, so it seems they performed an actual repair rather than replacing them with refurbs.

it’s a difficult call, it in the end I would say I’m happy with their warranty service. Be warned, I purchased mine long enough ago that I got the 5 year warranty automatically, but new purchasers will have to register their speakers to get the warranty extension.

OP
Rod

Rod

Well that sounds like what I am looking for. Hearing the TV5's kinda gives me the house sound to compare, but the price of the A7x gives me pause without hearing them first. Can't demo them first so your impressions are helpful.
The clarity in the highs with the TV5's is the best I have had in a speaker so I was leaning on keeping in the same house sound. There so close to my ears that's important to me. Being exposed to high noise environment most my life....., well I think the clarity is great.
Now to talk to the wife.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your room is small, there are likely serious room nodes that would really benefit from some DSP.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@Rod I used the original ADAM A7s (not the later A7xs) for a long time. They were good speakers but I ended up outgrowing them. Got tired of the narrow sweetspot.

OP
Rod

Rod

Your room is small, there are likely serious room nodes that would really benefit from some DSP.
I haven't committed yet on your suggestion,but in the mean time I have been playing with the eq. What I did was put in a sharp dip in the mids and moved that dip across the mid frequency range on the RMEadi2dac. Well I did hear an improvement to the box sound when I hit the right frequency. Then I did another dip and played with moving that one through the mids.
My wife has a good Rhode usb mic, next I need to learn REW I guess. But by ear its better. I admit I thought I was dealing with the limitations of a 5 inch driver, but I finally am using eq.

OP
Rod

Rod

I haven't committed yet on your suggestion,but in the mean time I have been playing with the eq. What I did was put in a sharp dip in the mids and moved that dip across the mid frequency range on the RMEadi2dac. Well I did hear an improvement to the box sound when I hit the right frequency. Then I did another dip and played with moving that one through the mids.
My wife has a good Rhode usb mic, next I need to learn REW I guess. But by ear its better. I admit I thought I was dealing with the limitations of a 5 inch driver, but I finally am using eq.
The frequency that had the most influence on the resonance I was hearing was around 2.5-3.5k. With the virus and my age group I have been reluctant to demo speakers plus the travel time is extensive. This helped to keep what I got until the proper time I can demo. Who knows when. Thanks all who helped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom