• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about a replacement woofer

Roy_L

My cat decided to give a good scratch to one of my speakers' woofers. He just punctured the woofer's surround so It doesn't affect the sound, but I'm way to OCD than letting it stay that way.
The speakers are Dynaudio S 3.4. Does anyone know what is the woofer's exact model so I could buy a replacement / surround repair kit? (don't think there are official kits made by dynaudio, but I may be wrong).

I already wrote Dynaudio's costumer's service, but they haven't responded yet, so maybe someone here can help in the meantime. Also, I don't have the tools to open up the speakers and have a look, or I would have done it already (I'll go buy if I have to).

Thanks!

p.s.

Despite really wanting to, the cat wasn't thrown out the window...

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just measure the inner and outer diameter of the surround. Then provide those to Midwest speakers or some other surround supplier of choice.

Reactions: wje
OP
R

Roy_L

You're under the assumption that I live in the US...
I already talked to local speaker repair shops. They said they may be able to fix it, but not with original Dynaudio surround. Not good enough for me I'm afraid.

OP
R

Roy_L

That stupid cat is the main reason why the speakers weren't with grills on.
Well, they are now, hoping they don't draw his attention when I'm not looking...

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I already talked to local speaker repair shops. They said they may be able to fix it, but not with original Dynaudio surround. Not good enough for me I'm afraid.

And anyway, if you replace the surround with something different you'll end up with a differing compliance, which will change the woofer's performance. Have you contacted Dynaudio and asked them?

OP
R

Roy_L

I did, but I'm afraid it can be a few days to a week just to get an initial reply (from past experience- they're extremely nice, but really slow).

Reactions: wje

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Why don't you add your location to your account profile so we don't have to "assume".

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did, but I'm afraid it can be a few days to a week just to get an initial reply (from past experience- they're extremely nice, but really slow).

Sorry yes, I see that in your OP now. My bad...

PaulD

quad.png

Sorry - couldn't resist!

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
People have been replacing speaker surrounds for decades, has anyone documented significant performance differences from surround compliance differences? If there are any, surely it'd be less than just running a surround with a hole in it, which you're saying isn't making a noticeable difference to you. How big is the hole on your surround? Could you just seal it with rubber cement or something similar?

Top Bottom