• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quest for Real Bass Traps

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I'm not sure why the Y axis means, but these UK corner mounted bass traps claim great absorption in the bass region. https://www.gbacoustics.co.uk/products/pet-bass-trap-xl
NRC is measured on a scale that ranges from 0 to 1. An NRC of 0 means that the product absorbs no sound. An NRC of 1 means that the product absorbs all sound. This product chart has a fictional axis, therefore the data and conclusions can be considered fictional.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Let's have a panel discussion
(JPEG Image, 474 × 357 pixels).jpg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder if they are making the same mistake
As any false advertising.
I have great doubt that they can make fully porous bass trap with decent efficiency at 100 hz and below within this size.
Maybe they have composition tuned helmholtz+porous? Both layers can be done from PET.

Adi777

Wouldn't it be better to commission the construction of such panels to some acoustician? I guess that shouldn't be a problem.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
As far as I can tell this is the best panel available outside of RPG:

There’s very little difference between the measurements of my tuned membrane GIK bass traps and those artnovion traps, they look very expensive but they do look more stylish

Last edited:
OP
Curvature

Curvature

Major Contributor
Wouldn't it be better to commission the construction of such panels to some acoustician? I guess that shouldn't be a problem.
I don't know any that undertake small projects. Usually they go for full room designs, and tailor each panel to specific problem areas.

OP
Curvature

Curvature

Major Contributor
There’s very little difference between the measurements of my tuned membrane GIK bass traps and those artnovion traps, they look very expensive but they do look more stylis.
I would agree, although the ArtNovion tests are proprietary, not done at an acoustics lab. It's hard to compare results directly, but the ArtNovion designers have good pedigrees, one of them being Bruno Fazenda, a well known acoustics researcher.

The other matter is that the ArtNovions panels max out at around 2.7", while the GIK Scopus panels start at 4" and the thickness increases with their wooden panel. The latter also have higher Q absorption.

FeddyLost

best panel available outside of RPG
Looks like most effective pressure based solution for end-users. Tunable!
For sure, it can't be cheap just because of design itself: it's huge square passive radiator in a sturdy box.

OP
Curvature

Curvature

Major Contributor
Looks like most effective pressure based solution for end-users. Tunable!
For sure, it can't be cheap just because of design itself: it's huge square passive radiator in a sturdy box.
The much larger corner subtrap is tunable, yes. The on-wall traps I linked are not.

No idea about price. I contacted a local distributor.

Top Bottom