• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix or BTR5 ?

rockrolla

Hi guys , I realize I'm quite happy with my s22 ultra + tidal + DAC + IEM / Low impedance headphones , so I want to buy a new DAC , something versatile I can use with BT or cable depending the convenience , I think the Qudelix have an amazing APP and I love the idea but the BTR5 seams a more reliable device , or I'm wrong ? Because all this features are funny for a while but at the end of the day you want something trouble free that doesn't let you down and stop working after a while , opinions ? Thanks in advance

Edit: I know there are other options but this 2 are what I consider a fair price for a portable dac Qudelix : 139 euros / BTR5 2021 : 105 euros

Last edited:
OP
rockrolla

rockrolla

The Qudelix 5K has a (now 20-band) fully parametric equalizer for accurate EQ correction of any headphone/IEM. There's no contest.
Qudelix is amazing, no doubt , I'm just asking if it's reliable , if it's something solid

unpluggged

I'm just asking if it's reliable , if it's something solid
I use one since August 2020. It just works. Not even a scratch. And they did not discontinue it after a year, something that those brands from Shenzhen usually do.

I had a Fiio X3 II DAP which had a problem out of the box (it did not turn off, rebooting instead, but this issue did not bother me too much). After a year of light use, it started to cut power after a few minutes of playback. I even tried to replace the battery, but it did not help. Then I got a pair of Fiio IEMs that developed crackling sounds on certain female vocals after a couple of weeks. I also had a Cayin N3 DAP that stopped charging after a few months.

So I developed a prejudice and expect any piece of electronics, especially from those manufacturers (but not only them: one of my HEDD monitors failed after less than a year of use, and there are many reports of failing RME UCX II units due to poor soldering), to fail within a short period. That's why I care about the brand's customer support reputation. I had a couple of Radsone ES100 units that burned during charging, and got immediate free replacements from the brand. That's why I was excited when the former CTO of Radsone announced the Qudelix 5K project, and I ordered one despite the delays caused by the pandemic. I did not regret. Now I'm considering to buy another one, just to have a spare unit or to use it with another set of headphones.

OP
rockrolla

rockrolla

Ok , thanks for the feedback , since Tidal doesn't have an EQ , Qudelix is just perfect and AutoEq is a must , I'm going to order one

vco1

Can't say anything about solid in the literal sense of the word. I have my Qudelix only since November 2022. However, on the software side of things some things have changed recently. And I do have an opinion on that.
At the beginning of this year Qudelix released a new version of the app (Android and iOS) and new firmware for the 5K. Since then the USB connection has been far from reliable for me on a Galaxy S10. Since USB is my preferred way of connecting the DAC, that is an issue. Unplugging and plugging in the USB cable does help to get a connection, but not always the first time. The software and firmware are in the meantime already on version 2.0.4. With (almost) weekly (minor) updates. So it appears I'm not the only one having issues with the new software and firmware.

Last edited:
OP
rockrolla

rockrolla

Can't say anything about solid in the literal sense of the world. I have my Qudelix only since November 2022. However, on the software side of things some things have changed recently. And I do have an opinion on that.
At the beginning of this year Qudelix released a new version of the app (Android and iOS) and new firmware for the 5K. Since then the USB connection has been far from reliable for me on a Galaxy S10. Since USB is my preferred way of connecting the DAC, that is an issue. Unplugging and plugging in the USB cable does help to get a connection, but not always the first time. The software and firmware are in the meantime already on version 2.0.4. With (almost) weekly (minor) updates. So it appears I'm not the only one having issues with the new software and firmware.
Ok , tanks for the valuable info , I guess it's a Samsung issue since mine old dongles from the galaxy note 10 doesn't work anymore in the s22 ultra , that's a bummer , I don't know , I guess I can always return it if that happens , meanwhile I was thinking I really don't need a BT DAC since I have several BT earphones , maybe it was just smart to buy a hidzis s9 pro that's seams to be an excellent device , don't know

Last edited:

unpluggged

Since then the USB connection has been far from reliable for me on a Galaxy S10
Weird. I have had no issues precisely with Galaxy S10 when connected via USB, be it with standard Android audio stack or with USB Audio Player Pro. I've just checked with the latest 2.0.4 firmware and again have no issues. Could you elaborate what is the kind of problems that you have with your configuration?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Qudelix is amazing, no doubt , I'm just asking if it's reliable , if it's something solid
The only issue I have ever had- and this may be a phone issue rather than a 5k one- is that sometimes the bluetooth is garbled when i start a playback session, requiring either a 5k reboot or a disconnect/ forget from the phone. Its a rare event and like I say, may not be a 5k issue.

Other than that- 2 years or so in and still trucking and I bought a second one for a different set up too.

vco1

Weird. I have had no issues precisely with Galaxy S10 when connected via USB, be it with standard Android audio stack or with USB Audio Player Pro. I've just checked with the latest 2.0.4 firmware and again have no issues. Could you elaborate what is the kind of problems that you have with your configuration?
Well, it could be just me not understanding how the device works. However, I have read some more remarks that the use of the 5K is not exactly intuitive.

The issue I have is that most of the time the Qudlix app shows that it's using bluetooth, even when the 5K is connected by USB cable. Using SqueezeCtl as the player.

I might be doing wrong, or misinterpreting one of the (many!) settings.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it could be just me not understanding how the device works. However, I have read some more remarks that the use of the 5K is not exactly intuitive.

The issue I have is that most of the time the Qudlix app shows that it's using bluetooth, even when the 5K is connected by USB cable. Using SqueezeCtl as the player.

I might be doing wrong, or misinterpreting one of the (many!) settings.
You need to select the input priority to usb first then bt

unpluggged

You need to select the input priority to usb first then bt
@vco1 This is not necessary. I have input priority set to BT, and still it works fine. You need to make sure that your phone's media output is set to "Headset". I'm not familiar with SqueezeCtl and its implementation of sound output, but it works for me when using apps like Poweramp, Spotify, YouTube, and so on. Qudelix app shows that USB streaming is in use.

Attachments

• photo_2023-01-22_09-10-26.jpg
    photo_2023-01-22_09-10-26.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 142
  • photo_2023-01-22_09-10-30.jpg
    photo_2023-01-22_09-10-30.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 125

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@vco1 This is not necessary. I have input priority set to BT, and still it works fine. You need to make sure that your phone's media output is set to "Headset". I'm not familiar with SqueezeCtl and its implementation of sound output, but it works for me when using apps like Poweramp, Spotify, YouTube, and so on. Qudelix app shows that USB streaming is in use.
That entirely depends if you have a live Bluetooth connection with the 5k does it not? And yes, I think you can manually select USB input in the 5k app. But that means using the app every time.

EDIT- I stand corrected- @unplugged is correct. Priority only matters when there is music playing on the BT device and USB devices. Regardless of priority settings if the USB connection is the only one live with music into the 5k- that is what will play unless you start playing on the BT connected device too.

EDIT 2- life gets more complex if its the same device you are connecting to via USB and BT- but the setting input- bluetooth- auto disconnect for USB DAC might help. Without this enabled- I can indeed change input from my pixel 6 via the Spotify controls switching wired to bluetooth but I CANT change on the phone side when using apps like UAPP that avoid the Android audio stack. With USB priority enabled on the 5k and UAPP connected and playing on the phone and taking control of the USB DAC I cant switch to Bluetooth input from UAPP. Nor can I play BT from spotify until I select the BT1 as priority.

To @vco1 - try the USB auto disconnect setting per above setting input- bluetooth- auto disconnect for USB DAC might help

Last edited:

SiW

Finally got one as they are only £112 from Scan on eBay. Love the flexibility and app!

Have it running dual connection and can use the BT from my TV (via optical TX unit) and my iPhone so can still use the app for EQ.

For the money seems very good value.

Even though it doesn’t measure the best its other functionality makes up for this. So maybe measurements aren’t everything?

Do I still need my desktop DAC/amp combo of Fiio K7??!!

Chester

Finally got one as they are only £112 from Scan on eBay. Love the flexibility and app!

Have it running dual connection and can use the BT from my TV (via optical TX unit) and my iPhone so can still use the app for EQ.

For the money seems very good value.

Even though it doesn’t measure the best its other functionality makes up for this. So maybe measurements aren’t everything?

Do I still need my desktop DAC/amp combo of Fiio K7??!!

I’ve hesitated since this was reviewed as I like the functionality but the measurements seemed poor in some areas. Owners bias withstanding, can anyone speak to how it sounds? Is it to be considered transparent to human ears?

Just to clarify, when I ask how it sounds, I don’t mean velvety, clinical or other rubbish. Purely, does it sound transparent or is there some compromise to the sound in exchange for features. Thanks.

SiW

I was the same - I’ll try to do some proper listening later but just using the built in EQ preset for my IEMs made ticked several boxes for me.

Top Bottom