• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K to feed Topping L50 through 2.5 mm to dual 1/4 connectors?

Merkurio

It has been a while (nearly three years) since I sold my last open over-ears, I’m mostly an IEM guy but I pull the trigger yesterday with the HE400se at $109 on Amazon, my first Hifiman and the second full-sized planar I buy since the Audeze LCD2C.

However, giving the fact that my IEMs don’t requiere tons of power and I use my AirPods Pro the most, I also sold my Topping DX3 Pro time ago (decision I admittedly regret) and now I just have the Apple dongle and my Mac mini M1 headphone output which I will use to temporarily amplify the HE400se.

My idea for a small footprint but powerful desktop setup is start by purchasing a Qudelix-5K for their hardware PEQ capabilities, using it mostly wired with my phone and as a desktop solution as well, connected to my Mac mini and then to a powerful amplifier like the Topping L50 using the later’s balanced inputs through a cable with dual 1/4 connectors to the single 2.5 mm from the Qudelix, in order to get the full 4V of output.

Do you think this is doable, giving the SINAD difference between both the Qudelix and the L50? Anyone has tried something similar? @JohnYang1997 anything useful to consider?

Thanks in advance!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the Qudelix 5K can already drive my HE400SE to impressive levels on the unbalanced output. you have double the power with the balanced output.

Give it a try on its own before buying something extra.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
In general you need a GND connection between DAC and Amp, which 2.5mm Bal doesn't have.
You should definitely contact Qudelix first before plugging the 2.5mm output into an Amp.

OP
Merkurio

Merkurio

the Qudelix 5K can already drive my HE400SE to impressive levels on the unbalanced output. you have double the power with the balanced output.

Give it a try on its own before buying something extra.

I'm confident enough that the output power of the Qudelix would suffice my listening levels, the Topping L50 it's just for the volume knob convenience and the extra "peace of mind" regarding power for EQ headroom.

Anyway, the HE400se would arrive thursday and I'll test them with the Mac mini output to get an idea of the power requirements and EQ headroom...

Thanks. :)

In general you need a GND connection between DAC and Amp, which 2.5mm Bal doesn't have.
You should definitely contact Qudelix first before plugging the 2.5mm output into an Amp.

Do you think something like this would work?

Sa4863ad7b74144659a568c613f214821m.jpg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just use 3.5mm to RCA. I do the same thing on my desk, for the same reasons, but using a Monolith THX amp. There’s plenty of gain for HD800/HD650.

dc655321

Major Contributor
My idea for a small footprint but powerful desktop setup is start by purchasing a Qudelix-5K for their hardware PEQ capabilities, using it mostly wired with my phone and as a desktop solution as well, connected to my Mac mini and then to a powerful amplifier like the Topping L50

I also do a similar thing on my desktop with my Earsonics DAC, A07 amp, and Kef Q150 speakers. Single ended rca cables tho…

OP
Merkurio

Merkurio

For those interested, I received a kindly answer from Qudelix in their official forum:

Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-07 a la(s) 1.43.59 p.m..png

Now is up to Topping to determine if the L50 circuit design requires the GND to be connected, could you @JohnYang1997 please help me about this? :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think John Yang is taking a break from ASR at the moment. You'd better contact Topping's customer support directly.

OP
Merkurio

Merkurio

I'm interested in this solution, had you any luck with it?

Unfortunately not.

The HE400se never arrived and I asked to Amazon for a refund, so not interested in a desktop amplifier at the moment.

Furthermore, Topping replied me with the following when I contacted them:

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

L50 requieres the GND connected. But we do not recommend such connection.

Best Regards

--------------------

TOPPING SERVICE

So, although possible, Topping don't recommend that (I asked for a more specific details, but they don't mailed back).

I'm going to buy the Qudelix whenever it comes to stock at Amazon, though.

Hope it helps you.

Actungz

Do you know if the GND connection applies to active speakers with 3 pin XLR inputs as well?

For example I want to split a balanced 2.5mm to 2 XLR outputs to feed my JBL 305p.

Thank you!

Top Bottom