• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix 5K - DSP and most functions unavailable without BT connection

ManuCV

Hi there,

Sorry if I'm asking something obvious but I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere.

Just received the Qudelix 5K and I am not able to access most functions from the Qudelix mobile app unless it's paired with my phone. I am not intending to use it as a BT amp/DAC with my phone, but as a USB DAC.

Most options are greyed out unless I pair it. Is it absolutely necessary to have it paired with the phone in order to use the app and the DSP etc?

PS. I read in the manual about some issue with Sony phones (mine is a Sony Xperia Pro-I): "With some specific Android devices, SONY Android App sometimes overrides the system Audio Output selection to Bluetooth forcibly. If you don't get any sound through Android USB DAC, please try uninstalling SONY App."

I don't think this is the problem, but in any case what "Sony app" is referred here?

Thanks.

OP
M

ManuCV

You just need the phone to setup the device, not to use it.
Abdo, do you mean that I need to enable Bluetooth and pair it every time I want to change any settings on the Qudelix app? Not sure if I got you.

That would be a bit cumbersome, if for example I want to quickly check any differences between EQ presets that would be a hassle. Has it been really designed like this?

buz

Forum Donor
I think there is a chrome app gui for usb dac usage...

Not sure how you would control the dongle without using another device given it has no display etc.

OP
M

ManuCV

Not sure how you would control the dongle without using another device given it has no display etc.
I assumed having the 5K connected via USB to my mobile would suffice to change options on the DAC. This is pretty counterintuitive.

I will try with another mobile phone (good old Samsung S10+) just in case it's a Sony annoyance, but does not look like it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have always used the app while connected via USB to 3 different Samsung phones with no difficulty. I have tried using BT and this worked as well.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience is different- If i plug the dac into the phone with bluetooth disabled on the phone- it prompts me to turn on BT- if I cancel out of that I cant change settings in the Q5k app. Likewise, if I plug in the Q5k it turns on but it then auto connects to BT for app control (playback still over usb if that is the priority selected). If I disable phone BT whilst app is open and connected via USB to phone , app settings grey out.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Abdo, do you mean that I need to enable Bluetooth and pair it every time I want to change any settings on the Qudelix app? Not sure if I got you.

That would be a bit cumbersome, if for example I want to quickly check any differences between EQ presets that would be a hassle. Has it been really designed like this?
This is the general premise yes, since people are more likely to have a smartphone with bluetooth than a windows PC I find your discomfort rather strange?

I think there is also a chrome extension as well as mention above.

OP
M

ManuCV

My experience is different- If i plug the dac into the phone with bluetooth disabled on the phone- it prompts me to turn on BT- if I cancel out of that I cant change settings in the Q5k app. Likewise, if I plug in the Q5k it turns on but it then auto connects to BT for app control (playback still over usb if that is the priority selected). If I disable phone BT whilst app is open and connected via USB to phone , app settings grey out.
That is exactly, step by step, my experience. What is your mobile device brand?

OP
M

ManuCV

This is the general premise yes, since people are more likely to have a smartphone with bluetooth than a windows PC I find your discomfort rather strange?

I think there is also a chrome extension as well as mention above.
Rather strange? If it's connected via USB why should it require BT to operate the app? That is strange in itself.

I don't have BT on at all times, it's a waste of battery and unsafe from a security point of view. If this device can work and communicate via USB there's absolutely no reason why the app should not work via USB.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rather strange? If it's connected via USB why should it require BT to operate the app? That is strange in itself.

I don't have BT on at all times, it's a waste of battery and unsafe from a security point of view. If this device can work and communicate via USB there's absolutely no reason why the app should not work via USB.

I think it uses chips made for headphones which prioritize Bluetooth use.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

Because all the settings and eq data tables are stored on the 5K and not on your phone. The app is a Bluetooth portal for accessing the 5k data and attributes. In this way any settings you set will move with the 5k and not the phone. Making using the 5k with various source devices easy and your configuration does not become source dependent. At least that is my current understanding and experience. I have multiple 5k’s and they are each set up for different headphone/iem devices.

OP
M

ManuCV

Because all the settings and eq data tables are stored on the 5K and not on your phone. The app is a Bluetooth portal for accessing the 5k data and attributes. In this way any settings you set will move with the 5k and not the phone. Making using the 5k with various source devices easy and your configuration does not become source dependent. At least that is my current understanding and experience. I have multiple 5k’s and they are each set up for different headphone/iem devices.
I understand your point, but the interface (be it USB or BT) does not affect how or where the data (presets, settings etc) is saved. In both cases (BT or USB) the data is saved in the memory of the Q5K - the app is just the UI to save the data. That's why it does not make much sense that BT needs to be enabled in order to save on the Q5K.

It's a minor annoyance but it's a matter of getting used to it, I guess.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I understand your point, but the interface (be it USB or BT) does not affect how or where the data (presets, settings etc) is saved. In both cases (BT or USB) the data is saved in the memory of the Q5K - the app is just the UI to save the data. That's why it does not make much sense that BT needs to be enabled in order to save on the Q5K.

I suspect but don’t know for certain, that some form or fashion of DRM or copyright restrictions are involved in USB functionality? Or it could be that they make this choice of Bluetooth only control to minimize program size for internal storage purposes of the 5k itself. As you said once you get use to it you won’t be bothered by it. I rather like how everything is stored on the 5k and no matter what device you connect it with all your customizations are present and no duplicate configurations are required for the source device employed.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I tried running the Chrome add-in on Android, but it doesn't seem to be possible...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You could submit a request on the Qudelix forum for this functionality. If I was writing the software, I would code the app for BT first because it would apply to both wired and wireless usage. If you just wrote the code for USB, then it would be no good for BT (which I suggest is the 5K's primary use case).

I don't have BT on at all times, it's a waste of battery and unsafe from a security point of view.

I didn't think that Bluesnarfing was such a big issue these days? (It's not like the mid-naughties when I was taught how to do it. The attacks were trivially easy on unauthenticated connections back then).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom