• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Vik

Thanks, I saw your message just after I had bought a cable, and have now found that it doesn't work. It wasn't made by Apple but by Linocell, and says "Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod" on the package, so it probably has the wrong kind of wiring. Back to AAC.

Blorg

@Vik I think the issue with lightning-USB C cables is it has to be a USB OTG cable designed to connect a peripheral. I think this requires some specific wiring in the cable. There are also lightning-USB C cables designed to connect the iPhone for example to a Mac USB C port, where the Mac is the master/host device, and the iPhone is the peripheral. I think that is the sort of cable that won't work. You need one where the iPhone is the master/host device and the USB C (Qudelix) end is the peripheral. There may be other issues, but that's my understanding of why some work and some don't. With a USB C - USB C cable this is all handled automatically and there is only one type of cable. But lightning precedes USB-C and so it has this issue, that there's an OTG type cable and a "normal" non-OTG type cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik

Vik

I have the Apple Camera Adapter.
Is it this one?

It says "With the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, it’s easy to transfer photos and videos from your high-resolution digital camera to your iPad Pro", so a shop was reluctant about selling it to me since it mentioned iPad Pro and not the phone.

Blorg

@Vik you can see under compatibility it lists the iPhone as well. You may also be able to use this one which is smaller, but doesn't allow charging:

I think it is USB2 but so are all DACs including the Qudelix, USB Audio doesn't need USB3.

Vik

Thanks, I would prefer a solution which let me charge the Qudelix, but Wacomme wrote that "I don’t think it can be charged while in use on an iPhone - since you have to turn off charging" – but also said that one can charge the (i?)Phone while listening. But if the phone is connected to the Qudelix through a cable, wouldn't that automatically charge the Qudelix as well?

If there's no way to charge the Qudelix while in use, one of the reasons to get the Apple Camera Adapter is gone.

wacomme

Thanks, I would prefer a solution which let me charge the Qudelix, but Wacomme wrote that "I don’t think it can be charged while in use on an iPhone - since you have to turn off charging" – but also said that one can charge the (i?)Phone while listening. But if the phone is connected to the Qudelix through a cable, wouldn't that automatically charge the Qudelix as well?

If there's no way to charge the Qudelix while in use, one of the reasons to get the Apple Camera Adapter is gone.
The Camera Adapter will keep your iPhone charged while in use, but likely not the Q5K. Though, I could be mistaken. I've mostly been using the Q5K remotely, and thus Bluetooth. Once I get back to work (I'm a teacher) and have the Q5K connected to my iPhone via the camera adapter (my work blocks streaming access), I'll know how much battery drain I'll get with the Q5K during the day. I do know that with the Camera Adapter I can charge my iPhone while listening to lossless streamed music - iPhone - Camera Adapter - Split connection - 1 (Q5K - headphones) & 2 (iPhone charger cable to USB charging port on computer or wall adapter). But you are probably correct that the Q5K won't charge in this situation. If so, I'll have the charge the Q5K nightly after work.

Vik

That's a different camera adapter than the one I'm planning to buy. How many camera adapters does Apple have? Btw, I just came across this:
"In our tests, Apple's Lightning-to-USB 3 Camera Adapter (with charging port) sounds better and is more reliable than Apple's less expensive Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter...." Apparently, that's a statement from another dongle maker. I wonder if that's true for the Qudelix as well.

Vik

iPhone - Camera Adapter - Split connection - 1 (Q5K - headphones) & 2 (iPhone charger cable to USB charging port on computer or wall adapter)
I know two different setups have been discussed (for the adapter with Lightning to both USBC and USB3). One is to connect the Qudelix to the USB3 port, the other is to connect the Qudelix to the USB C port. Which of them are you using?

wacomme

The lightning connection on the Camera Adapter connected to a charging cable for the iPhone. The USB port connects to the Q5K which connects to headphones. This assumes a USB connection and lossless music from the phone.

Vik

OK, so it has two lightning connectors and one USB? The one I have been looking at (and have been recommended in a local store) had one Lightning and two USB ports (one USB C and one USB 3).

wacomme

OK, so it has two lightning connectors and one USB? The one I have been looking at (and have been recommended in a local store) had one Lightning and two USB ports (one USB C and one USB 3).
I have no idea. I just know mine plays lossless music from my phone with EQ via the Q5K.

wacomme

The Q5K is a great little device, mainly due to the dsp. The size is also right for portable use. Compared to other dongles the battery is very nice on the Q5K which enables Bluetooth capabilities - just plug in your favorite iem and you have an excellent portable system (great for sports). With the camera adapter you have lossless music, and either way you have EQ. I also take advantage of the 2.5mm balanced jack. My 7Hz Timeless has a balanced cable, so I can take advantage of the higher volume capability balanced inputs provide. My 560s headphones at work also has a balanced cable for the same reason.

The Q5K really is a sweet device. It does everything - not one thing spectacularly, but many things well.

Vik

If any of you are or will be in the same situation (wanting cabled audio for 96/24 + charging the phone at the same time), I have started a thread over at Qudelix' own forum now.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Vik This is the one you want to charge your iPhone while sending audio out via USB:

The adapter plugs directly into your iPhone.
The 5K plugs into the adapter via any Type-A to Type-C cable.
Your charger plugs into the adapter via Lightning.

Vik

The adapter plugs directly into your iPhone.
The 5K plugs into the adapter via any Type-A to Type-C cable.
Your charger plugs into the adapter via Lightning.
Thanks! Do you or anyone else know if those will let me hear 24/96 from Tidal also (and not only Apple Lossless)?

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A second hand/ cheap android handset (WiFi, no sim), USB audio player Pro app with its eq add on (about £4 each). It can eq qobuz and pass through to any usb dac.

I've no idea what a second hand but safe android bare bones handset goes for these days though.
Finally I put you suggestion in practice and I like it very much! Now I have an Android phone for the first time, rather cheapish but with pretty large display (LG K61), bought USB Audio Player Pro, purchased the in-App PEQ, typed in the values for my headphones and am a happy listener. My recently aquired Sundara really needs the extra juice from my Topping Dx3Pro+ (at least with unbalanced dongles the maximum listening level was not very high). Thanks for the proposal, well worth the expense.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally I put you suggestion in practice and I like it very much! Now I have an Android phone for the first time, rather cheapish but with pretty large display (LG K61), bought USB Audio Player Pro, purchased the in-App PEQ, typed in the values for my headphones and am a happy listener. My recently aquired Sundara really needs the extra juice from my Topping Dx3Pro+ (at least with unbalanced dongles the maximum listening level was not very high). Thanks for the proposal, well worth the expense.
Glad to hear it. Though it kinda ruins you for listening to other services /apps through android.

Brianc

Yes I did read that but practically speaking, I didn't hear a lot of difference and it actually sounded better on zero to me. I will keep experimenting with it on different headphones and different types of music.
Crossfeed works best with early stereo recordings, particularly jazz, that had exaggerated left right separation.

Top Bottom