• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

tusing

This little thing works so well with my DCA Stealth that I'm considering ditching the RME ADI-2 and using this as my only DAC+amp. And it's only a tenth of the price and it's portable, which is huge for me!

The AAC Bluetooth implementation also seems to be done correctly on the Qudelix 5K, wheras there are subtle bugs causing audible artifacts with both FiiO and iFi's Bluetooth implementations.

I guess the only concern is that when I listen loud, I'm approaching the limits of the 5K's volume (with balanced out and 6db headroom enabled) for some listening scenarios, whereas the ADI-2 has more than enough headroom. When my ears get worse with age I can imagine that the 5K won't suffice anymore.

Last edited:

Phoney

So I got this some days ago and I really like the app! There is however a lot of options, and I'm not sure if I sent everything at the best option for my use. I am using this primarily for my Denon AH-D7200 (25 ohm, 105 db sensitivity). I put performance and output power at high, and I also set the Oratory eq for Denon on both my standard setup and this one. I firstly noticed that the Denon bass didn't feel as present on the Qudelix. I eq'ed the high frequencies down which indirectly boosts bass a bit and also gives more headroom from higher preamp setting and it helped a bit. But I tried to switch to my standard setup with the same eq settings and the bass felt better, also the sound felt slightly cleaner in general. I expected it to be pretty much the same. I just don't know whether it's imaginatory, if I'm not using the optimal settings, or if the difference in equipment actually matters in this case.

Standard setup: Topping D30Pro and Schiit Jotunheim 2 (USB, balanced XLR cables, and XLR headphone cable at low gain setting)
Qudelix 5K: 6.3mm headphone cable with 3.5mm adapter from Grado. Bluetooth, Sony codec ldac with android phone. I have ordered a 2.5mm cable but I'm not sure if that will make a significant difference..

Anyone know if theres anything here that could be the reason outside of just imagination? I do think that I already have more than enough headroom.
Switching to 2.5mm balanced solved the problem for me. A bit strange as I thought that I would have enough power for these easily driven headphones with 3.5mm. Who knows, maybe the problem was not even there to begin with.

schomin

Just FYI it looks like the qudelix site has them in stock again.

D

Deleted member 23424

If anyone sees these for sale anywhere please let me know. Seem to be out of stock everywhere! Only one I've found is some joker selling one for more than double the RRP on the bay.

Or, any recommendations for suitable alternatives?

sfdoddsy

Does anyone know if it is possible to add another band of EQ to the Presets?

I find the Harman Curve a little bright on top and would like like to engineer some roll-off without having to enter everything in manually.

dguillor

Forum Donor
Does anyone know if it is possible to add another band of EQ to the Presets?

I find the Harman Curve a little bright on top and would like like to engineer some roll-off without having to enter everything in manually.
Yes, you can do your own custom eq, and you could modify the eq provided for your headphones.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Questions to Qudelix Owners:
iPhone Late models with latest IOS , etc...
Sony WMX-1000 v3 headphones...
How can I use the Qudelix to EQ these headphones?.. Currently using an App called Boom but not pleased with the stupid interface...

Peace

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
How can I use the Qudelix to EQ these headphones?.. Currently using an App called Boom but not pleased with the stupid interface...

Peace
You use this app: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/qudelix/id1515641059
The app controls the EQ that is stored in the Qudelix hardware, so you can use whatever app for playing content independently from the EQ settings.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Peace
You use this app: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/qudelix/id1515641059
The app controls the EQ that is stored in the Qudelix hardware, so you can use whatever app for playing content independently from the EQ settings.
A bit confused here. Perhaps I didn't explain what I need to accomplish. I don't want to EQ a wired headphones rather a BT headphones, the Sony WMX-1000 3. How do I connect the iPhone to the Qudelix? BT? Then How do I connect the Headphones to the Qudelix , wireless/BT? I don't want to connect it wired to the Qudelix, rather through BT.

mugbot

Forum Donor
A bit confused here. Perhaps I didn't explain what I need to accomplish. I don't want to EQ a wired headphones rather a BT headphones, the Sony WMX-1000 3. How do I connect the iPhone to the Qudelix? BT? Then How do I connect the Headphones to the Qudelix , wireless/BT? I don't want to connect it wired to the Qudelix, rather through BT.
The Qudelix is a bluetooth receiver, rather than transmitter so you can't connect bluetooth headphones to it sorry. Its use case for bluetooth is in enabling wired headphones to connect to a bluetooth source by plugging them into the Q5k.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Qudelix is a bluetooth receiver, rather than transmitter so you can't connect bluetooth headphones to it sorry. Its use case for bluetooth is in enabling wired headphones to connect to a bluetooth source by plugging them into the Q5k.
:(

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Yes, sorry, i did not understand your question correctly.

mugbot

Forum Donor
If you're referring to the WH-1000XM3 headphones (I couldn't find the model listed) they can be connected wired to the qudelix if that helps?
So there would just be source -> q5k via bluetooth -> headphones via wire

sfdoddsy

Even better, switch to Roon.

The EQ capability is what separates it from everyone else

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Even better, switch to Roon.

The EQ capability is what separates it from everyone else
Roon's server won't run on a phone, so it's not an option in this case. In the situation where Roon can run there are also other options with EQ.

sfdoddsy

You can use a Bluetooth headphone via your phone/iPad with Roon and EQ it. I do this with my Airpod Pros and bed Shure SE215 (with Bluetooth dongle). The improvement puts them close enough (or above) my non-EQed 7hz and ATH-r70x to be moot. I bought the Qubelix to go wireless and EQ my various phones, but find myself using the Roon EQ instead and the Qudelix as a basic wireless amp.

Top Bottom