• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quality Zone Switching

Zed

Hey all. I've reached a dead end in my own research, and hoping you can fill in the gap. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Current Situation:
* Two rooms, with a set of stereo (no HT) speakers in each. The rooms are in close proximity to each other, and wiring for all speakers terminates in Room 1.
* All four channels are driven by a Fisher 500C receiver, with a speaker selector knob, such that I can listen to music in room 1, 2 or both. I do not have, nor need, separate music playing in each room concurrently. Having both rooms using the same source concurrently works fine.
* Sources are MM turntable, and Roon (via Hifiberry + Schiit Modi Multibit)

Changes I'd Like to Make:
* Replace Fisher with separates.
* Power amp with 4 x ~180W @ 8 ohm all channels driven. Targeting ncore NC252MP, built by Buckeye.
* TBD preamp, ideally with speaker switch
* TBD phono preamp (currently handled by Fisher)
* Nice to have: Consolidate roon functions to preamp unit
* Nice to have: Consolidate phono stage to preamp unit

The Challenge:
* Clean Speaker Switching. While it's possible to get a zone preamp like a Parasound, performance is shown to be just "good enough". I'm looking for happy-to-golfing panther quality, for around $1K - $2K used. Switching between speakers on the hypex amp side, would require buying 2 x 2CH amps, and powering them on/off (from the back no less!) based on desired zone(s). I'd prefer to find a more seamless route, using a single 4CH unit if possible. Besides dedicated switches that cost $1,300, I have not seen anything that I'd feel comfortable with signal-wise.

* Open to a receiver or integrated that meets requirements: 4 x ~180W, speaker switching, happy-to-golfing panther.

* Budget for Power Amp + Preamp + Phono Pre is ~ $3K. If going with separates, the ncore amp portion will eat $1K, leaving ~2K for the rest.

* Consolidation, less weight, and smaller footprint would be nice to haves.

Thanks again for your advice, and any creative ideas you may have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom