• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quality RPI, USBRIDGE SIGNATURE PLAYER, and Smart Speakers

averagestudent

Audio is not my specialty at “all”. I am struggling with the basic concepts on what to purchase/diy for a quality sound using RPI as the core component due to various apps. These videos outline that I would like to merge into a setup.

MAKING A RASPBERRY PI SMART SPEAKER: Using MoodeAudio | BnBe Club

Allo USBridge Signature network player and network bridge | The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel

Believe it: $1,250 (or less) can buy a complete audiophile system | Steve Guttenberg Audiophiliac

My Current Audio Listening Setup for 2018 | Kirby Meets Audio

RPI4 vs USBRIDGE SIGNATURE PLAYER

Can someone assist in any way by sharing a "complete" purchase list on a recommended setup including speakers? Additionally, I would like a simple outline of how they components are connected. At this point I would be happy with a two-speaker setup, but ideally I would like to understand a multi room setup with all the bells and whistles.

EdW

A clean sheet of paper - a great place to start! To get the best ideas from everyone perhaps you could tell us what your existing sources of music are? Streaming, CDs, vinyl etc. From your comments about Raspberry Pi I assume that streaming, CD rips and downloads will feature strongly in your new setup but do you still need vinyl or other analog sources feeding the setup?
Do you have a home computer network with a NAS? (Good place to store your ripped/downloaded music)
Tablets or smartphones are good for remotely controlling the RPI running Moode or whatever S/W you decide on
What is the size of your main room?
Headphones?

Now the $64 question - how much do you wish spend initially? It might need to be a little over $64 - unless you’re very ingenious :)

The RPI4 is an excellent streamer - with a decent external USB DAC most ASR members would reckon that an Allo Signature ( or Allo USB bridge) probably isn’t needed although it is an excellently engineered product
Good S/W to rip your CDs - DBPowerAmp - it collects metadata, album cover and checks the quality of the rip. You get a free trial and if you’re really motivated you might be able to rip your CDs in this time but the S/W isn’t expensive.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made a roon bridge from a pi4 and Ropiee. Works very well and easy to put together. You might want to ask these questions in the DIY section.

OP
A

averagestudent

Thanks EDW. I have Truenas and Proxmox with a good sized digital library. I do not plan to migrate from the a digital library, however assuming I knew what I was talking about (I don't) would like something with the following:
1) Raspberry Pi with similar features to a Touchscreen Monitor, EVICIV 7 (family interface dumbed down for a 85 year old)
2) Preferred touch screen pi interphase, a close second would be a cell phone.
3) Stream internet radio, apps, or local library.
3) Quality Bluetooth speakers, but would entertain non active speakers given a proven solution.
4) Likely have a slight case of autism since I do not like loud or sensory overload sounds, unless it is Metallica o_O.
5) Technology is my friend, however I have never immersed myself into music hardware or social circle.
6) Prefer to plan/evolve to a multi room solution.
7) I am not a fan of large speakers being a focal point in a room.
8) Overall budget likely under $1,000'ish.
9) Maybe I need a couple more years for for the technology to evolve, but am willing to grow with it.
10) Need a detailed bill of material list, with item "a" connects to "b" so I can complete my due diligence research prior to executing.

Many thanks for helping me ramp on this subject! Hopefully my wishlist is not overly constrained.

Last edited:

EdW

1. Raspberry PI4/4GB is a good streamer solution. Add a FLIRC case to house it neatly and take away excess heat. And the standard RPI4 power supply. Also an 8GB SD card for the software.
2. Software Moode or Volumio are frequently used. Both pretty good. Control with smartphone, iPad etc
3. Store your music on an existing NAS if you have a home network. If not plug a USB SSD into the RPI4 with your music on it.
4. Not familiar with screens on the RPI4 but on the Volumio forum people discuss the issues in some of the threads. A screen would change your choice of Raspberry Pi case since you would probably house them together. Perhaps others can offer advice on RPI+screen?

5. USB DAC choice. A couple spring to mind:
a. For amplifiers with RCA input - consider Topping E30
b. For amplifiers with XLR (like the Genelec active speakers for example) consider the Soncoz LA-QXD1
both these DACs are reviewed on ASR but both will need a low cost 5V/1A power supply

6. Amplifiers, speakers. I’m assuming you are based in N.America as you talk about a $ budget, unfortunately I’m not very familiar with the US marketplace for amps and speakers. Look at Amir’s reviews but ideally you need to hear the loudspeakers since this is the greatest variable in the audio chain. I sense that you like compact active speakers in which case one option would be a pair of Genelec 8020d (unlike other speakers they are generally priced individually) - I’ve heard them and they are good, but this would be break your budget once the DAC and RPI are added in. They seem to be more expensive in N.America.
I hope others reading this thread will chime in here with some suggestions

Needless to say use solid basic cabling (like Amazon Basics) since this works just as well as the boutique brands and saves a lot of money.

Top Bottom