• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Quality RPI, USBRIDGE SIGNATURE PLAYER, and Smart Speakers

Audio is not my specialty at “all”. I am struggling with the basic concepts on what to purchase/diy for a quality sound using RPI as the core component due to various apps. These videos outline that I would like to merge into a setup.

MAKING A RASPBERRY PI SMART SPEAKER: Using MoodeAudio | BnBe Club

Allo USBridge Signature network player and network bridge | The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel

Believe it: $1,250 (or less) can buy a complete audiophile system | Steve Guttenberg Audiophiliac

My Current Audio Listening Setup for 2018 | Kirby Meets Audio

RPI4 vs USBRIDGE SIGNATURE PLAYER

Can someone assist in any way by sharing a "complete" purchase list on a recommended setup including speakers? Additionally, I would like a simple outline of how they components are connected. At this point I would be happy with a two-speaker setup, but ideally I would like to understand a multi room setup with all the bells and whistles.

EdW

A clean sheet of paper - a great place to start! To get the best ideas from everyone perhaps you could tell us what your existing sources of music are? Streaming, CDs, vinyl etc. From your comments about Raspberry Pi I assume that streaming, CD rips and downloads will feature strongly in your new setup but do you still need vinyl or other analog sources feeding the setup?
Do you have a home computer network with a NAS? (Good place to store your ripped/downloaded music)
Tablets or smartphones are good for remotely controlling the RPI running Moode or whatever S/W you decide on
What is the size of your main room?
Headphones?

Now the $64 question - how much do you wish spend initially? It might need to be a little over $64 - unless you’re very ingenious :)

The RPI4 is an excellent streamer - with a decent external USB DAC most ASR members would reckon that an Allo Signature ( or Allo USB bridge) probably isn’t needed although it is an excellently engineered product
Good S/W to rip your CDs - DBPowerAmp - it collects metadata, album cover and checks the quality of the rip. You get a free trial and if you’re really motivated you might be able to rip your CDs in this time but the S/W isn’t expensive.

Top Bottom