• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quality of Yamaha wxad-10

kristofh

Hi,

I'm upgrading my stereo system and found this forum and a lot of interesting info on the Topping D50.
Now I'm in doubt if I you would hear a sonic quality difference between:

A. Topping D50 with the Apple TV 3 via Toslink
B. Yamaha wxad-10 with DAC Burr Brown PCM 5121.

Main usage will be Spotify Connect. I also have a Synology and after reading about the DSD, I would like to give this a try as well.

Thanks for the insigths and advice.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not aware of any published measurements of the Wxad-10, but the datasheet for the PCM5121 chip is available here.

On a quick glance, it shows that the chip has a dynamic range of 106dB and THD of -92dB @ -1dBfs.

These are pretty mediocre specs, although if the chip is well implemented in the Yamaha it could be audibly transparent.

Knowing how the D50 measures from from this website, there's no reason to believe it wouldn't be audibly transparent IMHO. Moreover, on the basis of the PCM5121's published specs, it it would not be possible for the Yamaha to measure as well as the Topping.

So if there is no advantage in terms of cost or convenience, I'd choose the Topping (I guess unless you've heard the Yamaha and like its sound).

gvl

Major Contributor
One thing to note is that wxad-10 only works over network, it cannot be used as a stand-alone DAC. Also it seems it requires the Yamaha MusicCast app for operation, but it does Bluetooth and AirPlay as well. The D50 may prove to be more flexible in terms of connectivity in the long run.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Note -92 dB THD is 0.0025%. We are so used to seeing such incredible numbers that we forget how good "mediocre" is these days. :)

envydd

Forum Donor
FWIW I use a chrome cast audio connected to my NuPrime integrated amp using the optical cable (with a ESS 9018K2M DAC) and its great. Hence you could attach it to a topping D50 (or a D30) and be happy.

OP
K

kristofh

Long term, I'm very happy with the Yamaha. I use mostly the Spotify Connect via a wired Ethernet connection. This works very stable and has no issues at all. Sound quality is very good for normal listening, but I'm sure that if you upgrade to a higher end DAC, the sound stage can still be better, but I guess this would only be noticeable during critical listening session and not during regular sessions.

Top Bottom